Names Searched Right Now:
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Ottilie: No judging - I love me a bit of Cersei Lannister too! I think she's by far the most complicated character in the series. I can't condone a lot of the things she does, but you can absolutely see how she's a product of her upbringing and understand her frustrations at being looked over time and time again for not having the 'correct' genitalia. She may not be the person I would want in power, but she's strong in her own way.

I don't know the story of Isolde, but Guinevere's story was a bit of a grey area for me. Personally I think Arthur and Lancelot were cads as well, so please don't think this is just me blaming Gwen (I didn't mention the men involved because I was focussed on girl's names). I don't buy into the whole 'evil temptress thing', and frankly I think all three of them were equally as bad as each other.

Delilah though. I was sure that she was in a relationship with Samson of her own free will when she sold him out? I'll have to dust off my bible for a reread, but, if she was, then I'm afraid we'll have to politely disagree, because I still don't think that money, and the freedoms that go with having lots of it, are good enough excuses to physically endanger someone. Especially someone who quite literally trusts you with their life. That's kind of the epitome of treason in my book. (I do agree that Samson must have been a twit to tell her his one weakness after the lies he told her were 'coincidently' acted upon shortly afterwards, but 'He's really stupid' is just not a justifiable reason to stab your partner in the back!)
    My Top 10 Girls Names: Astrid, Elara, Evelyn, Hannah, Hester, Lorna, Megan, Ophelia, Sylvia, Tabitha
    My Top 10 Boys Names: Alistair, Andrew, Graeme, Hamish, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Aurelius, Damaris, Digory, Hermione, Isis, Phineas, Loki, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx, Orion

Artemis
    Calliope
    Delilah
    Ginevra (I prefer Ginevra to Guinevere)
    Isolde
    Olympia
    Silmarien
    Sybilla
    Zorya

So many amazing names, with history and strength behind them. Had a hard time narrowing it down to 5, above are my top 9. If I had to then choose 5 from my 9:
    Artemis
    Calliope
    Ginevra
    Sybilla
    Zorya

I love the idea of a daughter named Artemis. I think that is beautiful.

(I also like Morgana, and if you can already picture yourself with a baby Morgana, the only question is "Is this baby your Morgana? Or has she yet to come?")

Ok settling this Delilah thing. No where in the verses does it say she took money to 'be free' (from what I might ask) or that he forced her to be with him or anything. There's a lot of inferring going on on Ottilie and other peoples parts. The fact is it says "he fell in love with her, then the Philistines asked her to find out how to make him weak, so she did, then she was angry when he lied so he wouldn't be killed, then she asked "If you really loved me you would tell me how to tie you up and subdue you" and because he really did love her, he told her. She promptly betrayed his love and his eyes were gouged out"

4 Some time later, he fell in love with a woman in the Valley of Sorek whose name was Delilah. 5 The rulers of the Philistines went to her and said, “See if you can lure him into showing you the secret of his great strength and how we can overpower him so we may tie him up and subdue him. Each one of us will give you eleven hundred shekels[a] of silver.”

6 So Delilah said to Samson, “Tell me the secret of your great strength and how you can be tied up and subdued.”

7 Samson answered her, “If anyone ties me with seven fresh bowstrings that have not been dried, I’ll become as weak as any other man.”

8 Then the rulers of the Philistines brought her seven fresh bowstrings that had not been dried, and she tied him with them. 9 With men hidden in the room, she called to him, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” But he snapped the bowstrings as easily as a piece of string snaps when it comes close to a flame. So the secret of his strength was not discovered.

10 Then Delilah said to Samson, “You have made a fool of me; you lied to me. Come now, tell me how you can be tied.”

11 He said, “If anyone ties me securely with new ropes that have never been used, I’ll become as weak as any other man.”

12 So Delilah took new ropes and tied him with them. Then, with men hidden in the room, she called to him, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” But he snapped the ropes off his arms as if they were threads.

13 Delilah then said to Samson, “All this time you have been making a fool of me and lying to me. Tell me how you can be tied.”

He replied, “If you weave the seven braids of my head into the fabric on the loom and tighten it with the pin, I’ll become as weak as any other man.” So while he was sleeping, Delilah took the seven braids of his head, wove them into the fabric 14 and[b] tightened it with the pin.

Again she called to him, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” He awoke from his sleep and pulled up the pin and the loom, with the fabric.

15 Then she said to him, “How can you say, ‘I love you,’ when you won’t confide in me? This is the third time you have made a fool of me and haven’t told me the secret of your great strength.” 16 With such nagging she prodded him day after day until he was sick to death of it.

17 So he told her everything. “No razor has ever been used on my head,” he said, “because I have been a Nazirite dedicated to God from my mother’s womb. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as any other man.”

18 When Delilah saw that he had told her everything, she sent word to the rulers of the Philistines, “Come back once more; he has told me everything.” So the rulers of the Philistines returned with the silver in their hands. 19 After putting him to sleep on her lap, she called for someone to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him.[c] And his strength left him.

20 Then she called, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!”

He awoke from his sleep and thought, “I’ll go out as before and shake myself free.” But he did not know that the Lord had left him.

21 Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding grain in the prison.

So there was no "him forcing himself on her" there was no "gold to be free" because there was nothing to be free from. He loved her, they had a relationship, she betrayed him cause she felt like it. Sorry, I just don't want any more arguing.
    Last edited by dantea; August 5th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

these are generally NMS, but i have managed a top 3 -- Calliope, Delilah, & Electra. i love Calla as a NN for Calliope. Delilah i like on it's own, but Lilah is a nice NN. Elle i like short for Electra. all these are stunning, sharp, powerful names IMO.

cma. furmom. music junkie. hippy. name nerd.

Freya; ...I miss Pandora and Hespera too (I need that crying like crazy smiley now...)

Rollo; thanks! I really love Vashti Iris Cleopatra and Olympia Helena Corinne. And Delilah Ruth Calliope is super cute!

Whirlie; Hecate wasn't bad! She was a very special and intriguing Goddess (witchcraft/magic, childbirth, crossroads/boundaries, necromancy to mention a few), the only one who stood up and helped Demeter when Persephone was abducted. She was invoked to ward off evil, and had a deep and fascinating cult. I like Aurelia, but don't love, Valentina is one of my best friends and Titania is one and off my list constantly! I took her off last time because of the first syllable, and because her man is on my boy list...

Dina; haha, your husband rocks! Thanks mr Dindle for the list! I'm not going to use to -O names, he can rest his heart... You two basically have the same list, and it's a good one. Thanks so much!

swtbabyg; thanks!

ljandrl; thank you!

Angel; haha, I get your point. I might just have to let Guinevere go... but she's so fabulous! Oh dear. Thanks for the little combos I see you threw in, I will save them

Unique; thank you!

Nova; No, Cersei in power isn't always the best thing, but I like her still. A very complex character, and she's one of the few that doesn't annoy me one time or another. I've read so many different takes on Guinevere... I know the most popular ones are more suspect, but I choose to give her my good faith. As for Delilah... I'm not very into the Bible, can't really remember half of it (apart from Jezebel and Vashti), so I am probably mistaken. Of course stabbing your man in the back is not something anyone should do (unless he was an abusive bastard!). Thanks for your comments! I like you!

Skateblinder; that is the exact question! I hope she's a Morgs, but if not... thanks for the list, and comments!

Angel; Holy M, you typed all that??? Okay, so I'm not going with Delilah. Still giving her the benefit of the doubt as I'm sure she wasn't consulted when the (women hating) men in robes wrote than brick. Thanks sweetie!

Anygiven...(too long): Thanks! Calla is cute

Ugh, I don't remember which names are on my list apart from Delilah and Guinevere, so I'll update later.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]