Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Your child will be bullied if you name them ---- ?

Your child will be bullied if you name them _______ ! How do you finish that sentence? I know this is a place for asking opinions on names, but i've been seeing SO much of this ( on this site and others ) that i just had to ask.

- Someone asks for an opinion on a name and are bombarded with answers saying their child will be picked on / bullied. Do you really think children are bullied because of their name, or do you think a name is used against a child who was already a target? I'm just curious to see if people actually think this, or if its just an easy answer for when they have no real argument for why they don't like a name.

- My personal opinion is that the child makes the name, the name doesn't make the child. Any name at all can be used against a child who is the target of bullying.

- What are your thoughts on this ?

In my experience, kids don't get bullied for their names. I've been a student and have taught/tutored for a number of years, and I've seen many children picked on mercilessly -- but never for their names. And this includes kids named Special Treasure, Chastity, Justice, Mowgli, Lolita, and Pierre. My own name is eminently teasable (sounds like a certain princess from a famous science fiction movie) but aside from a few remarks upon being introduced, nobody has ever given it a second thought.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I definitely don't. I grew up in the midst of the Jennifer/Jessica/Ashley/Sarah era, and I don't remember the ones who had unusual names ever getting picked on for their names. Not once in my memory.

If names come into teasing, I definitely think it's a secondary thing. They're were teased for something else first, and then the bullies figured out they could use their names afterward. And I don't think it matters what name it is… there will always be something.

I think it definitely gets overblown how much kids get teased about their names. I was bullied pretty badly, and I have a last name that you'd think would be pretty easy to make into a joke about, say, my weight, but it never happened.

Also, your child won't be a child forever. They'll be an adult for a lot longer than they'll be in elementary or middle school. Parents should be more concerned about how a name looks on a job application, imo.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin

I was teased for my name. Looking bad, I'm 99.9% the kid had a crush on me but still, I felt sad when he did it. He called me Smellany (my name was the #6 name in 1986, look it up if you want). I was never smelly.

I remembered Amanda's being called "a man, duh", but never in a mean way.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Kids get picked on for being different and for being perceived as weak. A name can be a trigger, as can any number of things (allergies, clothing, skin color, intelligence, lack of athletic skills, being female...the list is endless). A strong name that creates a positive first impression may not help, but it certainly can't hurt.