Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Your child will be bullied if you name them ---- ?

Your child will be bullied if you name them _______ ! How do you finish that sentence? I know this is a place for asking opinions on names, but i've been seeing SO much of this ( on this site and others ) that i just had to ask.

- Someone asks for an opinion on a name and are bombarded with answers saying their child will be picked on / bullied. Do you really think children are bullied because of their name, or do you think a name is used against a child who was already a target? I'm just curious to see if people actually think this, or if its just an easy answer for when they have no real argument for why they don't like a name.

- My personal opinion is that the child makes the name, the name doesn't make the child. Any name at all can be used against a child who is the target of bullying.

- What are your thoughts on this ?

In my experience, kids don't get bullied for their names. I've been a student and have taught/tutored for a number of years, and I've seen many children picked on mercilessly -- but never for their names. And this includes kids named Special Treasure, Chastity, Justice, Mowgli, Lolita, and Pierre. My own name is eminently teasable (sounds like a certain princess from a famous science fiction movie) but aside from a few remarks upon being introduced, nobody has ever given it a second thought.
    Simon, Eloise, Faye, Judah, Thea, Marina, Felix, Iris, Cordelia, Roscoe, Lydia, Jasper, Phaedra, Adrian, Lucinda, Jane, Wallace, Finnegan, Sylvie, Charlie, Juniper, Atlas, Matilda, Julian, Alice, Marlowe, Octavia, Jack, Marigold, Ruby Louise, Archer, Violet, Gabriel, Persephone, Dov, Louisa

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

I definitely don't. I grew up in the midst of the Jennifer/Jessica/Ashley/Sarah era, and I don't remember the ones who had unusual names ever getting picked on for their names. Not once in my memory.

If names come into teasing, I definitely think it's a secondary thing. They're were teased for something else first, and then the bullies figured out they could use their names afterward. And I don't think it matters what name it is… there will always be something.

I think it definitely gets overblown how much kids get teased about their names. I was bullied pretty badly, and I have a last name that you'd think would be pretty easy to make into a joke about, say, my weight, but it never happened.

Also, your child won't be a child forever. They'll be an adult for a lot longer than they'll be in elementary or middle school. Parents should be more concerned about how a name looks on a job application, imo.
    - current loves -
    Harriet - Flora - Violet - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Milo - Frederick - Dashiell - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theo - Harrison - Jack

I was teased for my name. Looking bad, I'm 99.9% the kid had a crush on me but still, I felt sad when he did it. He called me Smellany (my name was the #6 name in 1986, look it up if you want). I was never smelly.

I remembered Amanda's being called "a man, duh", but never in a mean way.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Kids get picked on for being different and for being perceived as weak. A name can be a trigger, as can any number of things (allergies, clothing, skin color, intelligence, lack of athletic skills, being female...the list is endless). A strong name that creates a positive first impression may not help, but it certainly can't hurt.