Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Persephone and Imogen. Yuck.

I really cannot understand the appeal of the Mac- names: Mackenzie, Mckenna, Makayla, etc. They make me think of McDonald's.

I also dislike jockish modern names without history or substance: Riley, Peyton, Colton, Carson, Reagan. Bad enough on a boy, but why on earth would you give a girl a name that's not only meaningless and instantly dated, but not even gender-appropriate?

Speaking of which, -son names on girls bug the crap out of me. Addison, Madison, Emerson...awful.

I also find most place names absolutely ridiculous. I shudder every time I see a child named London or Brooklyn. You realize your child is going to be laughed at if they ever visit these places, right?

And I detest syllable mash-up names. Kaylie, Kyleigh, Brinley, Braylee, Jaden, Jayleen, Gracelyn, Kinsley, Kinley, ad nauseum. A string of trendy syllables signifying nothing.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Emily or Amelia. Emily was (and is) overused, and Amelia is mostly for people who want an alternative. To me, Amelia also has that unbearable (meel) sound.
    Raphael Benedict-Charles Dominic-Jude Balthasar-Damian Leonard-Seth Matthias

Lucia Marguerite-Genevieve Reine-Maura Francesca

Honor-Emilia-Afton-Maeve-Fleur-Ophelia-Moses-Emrys-Constantine-Arthur

A lot of my favorite popped up in here

I can't stand Hazel (this seems to be #1 berry name for last month) everyone wants to name their little girl Hazel.
    First of all it's getting too repetitive and hardly unusual.
    Secondly I never really liked this name anyway. It seems dated and not attractive to me.

I also dislike Ruth which a friend wants to use. I want to talk her out of it.

I dislike Clementine with the old song about the fat lady drowning.

I also dislike Sloan for either gender. And Sullivan! Oh, well.

Names I like that no one else does well I like Josephine and Wilhelmina nn Mina and Adelaide and Henry (all from your lists) :P
    I also like Nadine and Irene and names like that seem a little dated.

I like most of the top 20 names. I chose Emily for my log in. I like Sophia, and Isabella etc. I do think Emma which seemed popular when I was kid little seems a little well used. (I knew a lot of Emmas my age no Emilys though, and now it's #2.) Anyway it's the common names that makes the unusual ones stick out.
    Last edited by emilyva; August 3rd, 2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smismar View Post
    Basically anything in the top 20 for either gender. I hear of yet another baby Emily or Mason and just think to myself, "Did you just give up after the first 5 minutes of considering a name?" Now, I know this isn't the case most of the time, and people really do love the names, but they seem to lack inspiration.
    I think this is a little judgmental. Just because it's in the top 20 doesn't mean it lacks inspiration. And frankly to just lump all top 20 names into a "I can't stand them" category I find to be actually quite un-inspired. Do you actually dislike the names or just the fact that they are popular?

For many families choosing names there may have been something else at work such as a tribute to another family member or the desire for a classic name. In previous times there wasn't such a desire for everyone to have totally one-off unique and weird names as their is now and some folks may still feel this way. We have Henry Oliver for our sons name and the popularity of Henry could bother me less. I love that it's popular because he'll never have to worry about spelling it or dealing with pronunciation issues.

Most of all - We didn't pick the name to be unique. We picked it because Henry was a family name and a tribute to his great grandfather who passed away when I was pregnant and we wanted something classic, timeless and meaningful to us. To say we (and all those who have a name in the top 20) gave up after 5 minutes pretty offensive and stereotypes quite a large group of people.

Just my opinion.