Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    I dislike Hazel, Imogen, Clementine, Sloane, Olive, Brooklyn, Eugenia, Harriet/Henrietta, Agnes, Agatha.

I guess the name that I love that has gotten so-so responses is Eliana
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett

Quote Originally Posted by mplsdesigner View Post
    I think this is a little judgmental. Just because it's in the top 20 doesn't mean it lacks inspiration. And frankly to just lump all top 20 names into a "I can't stand them" category I find to be actually quite un-inspired. Do you actually dislike the names or just the fact that they are popular?

For many families choosing names there may have been something else at work such as a tribute to another family member or the desire for a classic name. In previous times there wasn't such a desire for everyone to have totally one-off unique and weird names as their is now and some folks may still feel this way. We have Henry Oliver for our sons name and the popularity of Henry could bother me less. I love that it's popular because he'll never have to worry about spelling it or dealing with pronunciation issues.

Most of all - We didn't pick the name to be unique. We picked it because Henry was a family name and a tribute to his great grandfather who passed away when I was pregnant and we wanted something classic, timeless and meaningful to us. To say we (and all those who have a name in the top 20) gave up after 5 minutes pretty offensive and stereotypes quite a large group of people.

Just my opinion.
    I totally agree.
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett

I don't see the attraction to Emma, Leah or Claire.

Another one I've noticed popping up quite a lot recently is Sienna, I'm not a massive fan either.

As for names I like but nobody else does, irl none of my friends like any of my favourites! I'd probably go with Mabel.
    Favourite Girls: Iris, Mabel, Beatrice, Penelope and Aurora.
    Favourite Boys: Oliver, Stanley, William, Arthur and Albert.

Mabel, hazel, and names like that
    Olive/Olivia... Though I like Livia
    Madison/Madelyn/Madeline/Maddie- so unbelievably overused! At least where I live!
    Super long harsh sounding names like Clementine, Seraphina, Persephone, etc.

I really like Mackinley... And I have yet to find a single other person who doesn't hate it. I also really like Adelyn. And Anistyn, Heidi, Hadleigh/Calleigh.
    Current Favorites:
    { Adelyn :: Elisabeth "Elise" Kate :: Cassandra "Cassie" Vivienne :: Charlotte "Charlie" Lorraine :: Adelina :: Josephine "Josie" }
    { Everett Cole :: Adam Carson :: Camden Bennett :: Alexander "Xander" Mason :: Aidan Blake :: William "Liam" Anthony }

Not a fan of Catherine. I knew so many growing up. It's one of those names that feels so common and plain, it doesn't even really register when I hear it. And I'm sure everyone's aware I'm not a fan of girl names that end in the letter -a. There are a few exceptions.

As far as something I like that no one else does...hmmm.

I'm keen on boy names for girls, and obviously Nameberry isn't. I think it's simply because I've yet to find a girl name I like as much as a boy name. Or the ones I do like are too obscure to be usable. I do rather love Winifred.

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey