Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I would pronounce Béatrice the way you want.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

Quote Originally Posted by eshelby View Post
    Hello All,
    We really like the sound of the name Beatriz pronounced Bay-uh-treece. However, we and our families are not Spanish speaking and reside in the US so the "Beatriz" spelling will cause odd pronunciations and does not reflect our own actual heritage. Are there any legitimate spellings that could give us that pronunciations? We have considered Beatrix since we have Dutch ancestors and it is pronounced closer to Beatriz than Beatrice would be but we would still be constantly correcting from the BEE sound to the BAY sound. Thanks for the help.
    Shelby
    I think really hard about how my daughter will feel with a name, and how others will perceive her name. It made me leave a lot of names behind and it broke my heart. I tried really, really hard to find names that 1. can't get confused with similar trendy names 2. don't sound contrived or ghetto spelled and 3. will not be a constant source of confusion when my DD needs to introduce herself. Particularly if the name is intimidating, I avoid it.

As for Beatrice, I think a made up name is much better than one nobody will pronounce the 'right' way. Rather than just altering the spelling to get it to be pronounced correctly, I would suggest making up a new name using the aspects of Beatrice that you love. I personally have no problem with 'new' names if they are rooted in a language you feel represents your family and are not too complicated.

Peyatrese or Peyatriz is an example. I think it's pretty but definitely not easy, but easier than taking a name people are used to pronouncing one way and making them think you were being pretentious (which is NOT, but some Americans are judgmental about this stuff).

Another option is the name Baya, which means Berry in Spanish, but would have to be mispronounced to get the sound you want, then combined with a second name. Demetrice is a follower of Demeter.

And finally, the option would be to use her nickname, Bea, and that will be very easy for people to pronounce the way she introduces it and is very beautiful.

Just spell it Beatrice, or Beatriz and tell people how to say it.
    Proud mama to L. and S.E.R.

*Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Snow/ Adelaide Clover/Annabelle Violet/
    Wesley Rohan/ Hugo Phelan/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Caius Grey*

I'm also in the "just spell is Beatriz" camp. It's a tough situation, though.
    Mom to the delightful Be@trix He1en Luci11e (2011)

Loving Margaret (nn Maisie), Louisa (nn Lulu), and Frederick (nn Fritz) for future children.

Just spell it Beatriz, or don't use the name. There is no other legitimate spelling for that pronunciation.
    Beatrice is used in Italian pronounced (roughly) "bay-a-TREE-chay," so I suppose you could use Beatrice and pronounce it with the baya sound.