Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    The M names I like are a short list:

Micah - Short, but has history and strength to it. Nice sound. I can't really use this but I would if I could.
    Mordecai - I like the nickname Cai, I like the antiquity of the name, and in an era of Atticus and Ezra, I think Mordecai is perfectly usable. And I like the end sound of "eye," it has a certain lightness to it despite its length, like Eli or Levi.
    Malachi - I adore this one. Sweet meaning, nice sound, the "eye" I like. I'd probably call this one Cai/Kai for short too but it's not as easy a chop-down as Mordecai. It's a more stylish/popular name though, if that's a good thing.
    Malachy - not just a variant spelling. Said differently. No eye sound, but a lilting Irish quality. Sounds completely damn awful with our surname, which is why it is not on my real list, but I love it.
    Menashe - pronounced "meh-nah-sheh." I do not remember EVER seeing it on Nameberry and it's certainly not racing up the charts, but I really like it. People are going to be confused as to how it's said though.

Has anyone mentioned Morgan? This is my favorite M name for boys after Marlowe.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

merrick, marcus, morgan, marshall,
    Natacha - mother to Geneva Simone and Marlena Carys
    a site that surveys people with the same name.

Current Favs:
    Boys: Archer Sloan or Merrick
    Girls: Indira Maren or Sloan

Miles is only on the no list because of the S ending of our last name. The repeated Ss sound lispy. Milo doesn't have that problem.

I did not know that Malachy was pronounced differently - thank you for the education! I don't care for the "eye" ending of Mordecai or Malachi and thought Malachy was the same. Unfortunately, Malachy merges with the starting vowel of our last name to form one of those strange, run together names where you're not sure where the first name ends and last begins. But I really like it as a name now and will suggest it to other people.

We've known too many girls for Morgan to be a male option for us.

The Phantom Tollbooth is one of those children's classics that I somehow missed. But strangely, I have a crystal clear memory of the cover of the book. Maybe it was on our shelf but I never read it? Might be worth a quick read - sounds like a cute story! I just asked DH and he said he recognized the cover, too, but didn't remember the story, either. Curious! We'll have to check it out from the library.

Still thinking about Milo, I'm worried about it precluding other names for a later sibset. I googled and found one sibset of Milo James and Linus George, which is a fantastically well matched pairing, though Linus isn't quite for me...which is what I'm afraid of. What names can you guys think of for a sibset? I like classic with a little twist. (Really, I love the classics, but with our last name, our child would be one of thousands if we gave him a purely classic name.)

Milo and...

Ansel
    August
    Jude
    Quentin
    Roland
    Roman
    Walden

Clara
    Laurel
    Nora
    Poppy