Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Brainstorming: boys names that start with M

My husband's family has a tradition of giving boys M names. No M names seem to strike our fancy, but we love traditions, so we want to keep mulling it over.

The following names are off the table and cannot be used:

Martin
    Michael
    Max (all forms)
    Mark
    Matthew
    Miles

So of all the remaining boy M names in the world, which would you choose and WHY? The why is really important to us to give us fresh perspective. It can be something simple like "I knew a nice guy once with the name" or a stereotype of how you imagine a man with that name. I've read through M list after M list, but I'd love some insightful Berry comments to bring names to life

Thank you so much for your help!

I would Pick Malachi. I am fond of name meanings, and this one means "messenger" or "angel". I would like my child to grow into their name, with the proper upbringing and become a messenger of God. I am fond of biblical names, and the book of Malachi. Great nick name option...Kai/Ky
    I, may also pick Mateusz, the polish version of Matthew, to honour a loved one....name meaning "Gift of God". Another great meaning.
    Names I also like...Major, Madigan, Morris, Matthias, Miller, and Mylo.

Macintosh nn Mack
    Macintyre/Macintosh nn Mac
    Macy
    Maddox
    Madigan
    Magnus
    Malachi nn Kai
    Malcolm nn Mac
    Marley
    Mason
    Mateusz
    Matteo
    Matthias
    Maxim
    Melchoir
    Meridius
    Micah
    Micajah
    Miller
    Milo
    Milton nn Milty
    Mitch
    Mordecai
    Morgan
    Morris
    Morton
    Myron
    Major
    Madison
    Mylo
    Last edited by mkmlvr; August 2nd, 2013 at 03:28 AM.

My favorite M-name for a boy is Marlowe. Christopher Marlowe was a brilliant Elizabethan playwright (more celebrated than Shakespeare in his day) with a very colorful personal life. Philip Marlowe was a detective in Raymond Chandler's hard boiled mystery novels, which gives the name a dashing noirish appeal. I love the sophisticated, scholarly sound of Marlowe. While it's used for girls as well, I think Marlowe works beautifully for boys.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Marek - there are plenty of ric/rik/rec/reck names out there, this is just one of the M versions, great alternative to the more common Eric
    Malachi (Mal) - LOVE THE NICKNAME MAL, but hate Malcolm
    Markel - the sweetest little boy from the book & movie Howl's Moving Castle
    March - inspired from Little Women, has been gaining a small following
    Marcus - gives normal boring Mark a little grown up 'oomph'
    Marius - feels sophisticated
    Marshall - a surname and title name! nn or shorten to Marsh = nature name!
    Merritt - great male virtue name
    Mars - mythology name, feels very strong and confident to me
    Maverick - a lil trendy, but such a blue jean, cowboy BOY name lol
    Morpheus - just throwing it out there lol
    Mordred - literary from the tales of King Arthur
    Mozart - prefer the musical Amadeus, but a little Mozart running around still seems lovely

Maren-meaning "of the sea" it has a poetic feel
    Marsden-it is known for James Marsden, the actor, but totally cool nonetheless
    Mathias-it was mentioned above, but I prefer this spelling, seems more elegant
    Merrill-has various beautiful meanings
    Last edited by rmw2139; August 2nd, 2013 at 05:16 AM.