Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Ettasyn

Quote Originally Posted by emilyva View Post
    I know we are not very supportive of really out of the box thinking.
    I have to question this allegation, which has been brought up more than once on this thread. Taking a male name and mangling it to make it more "feminine" is not out of the box: it's actually really, really common. See Madisyn, Emersyn, Addisen, Jordyn, Ryleigh, Elliotte, ad nauseum. I've actually found Nameberry to be an incredibly encouraging environment when it comes to truly unique and unusual names. The backlash you've identified is against the trendy, misspelled, misgendered names we see all too often.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Ettasyn is RIDICULOUS.

would could have at least tried to not make her life miserable by using Ettason or Ettasin. theres no need for random 'y's

as with everyone else, go with ETTA OR HENRIETTA

other options: Harrietta, Jamesetta (say that on Etta's Nameberry page as Eta James real name),

any -ette name ex: Annette, Lynnette can = Etta

Edison is very masculine, dont go with Emmerson or Emery either, they are super TRENDY dating your child so in 40 years when people meet her they'll know her name was 'from that E- boy name to girl name craze of 2013'

I don't like -son names on girls but I prefer Edison to Ettasyn. It just looks made up and I think she will have to constantly explain how to pronounce/ spell it. I would go with Etta, either on its own or as a short form of an -etta name. Good luck!
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    I have to question this allegation, which has been brought up more than once on this thread. Taking a male name and mangling it to make it more "feminine" is not out of the box: it's actually really, really common. See Madisyn, Emersyn, Addisen, Jordyn, Ryleigh, Elliotte, ad nauseum. I've actually found Nameberry to be an incredibly encouraging environment when it comes to truly unique and unusual names. The backlash you've identified is against the trendy, misspelled, misgendered names we see all too often.
    I agree with all of this. As a girl Taylor from the 80s when boy names for girls really started going into overdrive, it's trendy and will soon sound dated. Add a made up spelling on top and someone (your child or even you) is likely to end up regretting the name.
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    I completely agree with this. The issue with Edison as a feminine name is that it ends in 'son', which automatically makes it masculine. You may think it doesn't matter which gender a name is, but remember that you're giving a name to another person... she may not want a masculine name. After all, there are all kinds of unintended consequences, such as being assigned a gym locker in the boy's locker room... because your name's Edison, so why would you be a girl? Names signal many things, including gender, education level, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, etc. While there is more leeway now than in the past, those signals that we often unconsciously pick up on are there. For example, being an American very high social class and educational level, you would probably be more likely to name your son George than D'Markyss. Making up or misspelling names is often something associated with lower social classes and education levels (same goes for my mother's name, which was made up nearly 55 years ago). Now, this could change with the next generation... with the hoards of Oakleighs, Krystalls, etc. But I really don't think it will...

As for Ettasyn, it looks like you made it up, and are just trying much too hard. Additionally, there's the 'y' in there... which makes it the definition of one of those low class, made up names I was talking about. Y's are not salt that you just add for a bit of flavour... nor are we playing Scrabble, so I don't really get why all made up girls names seem to include a y. The next issue is that it just is hard to say... it doesn't really roll off of the tongue. Now Etta, on the other hand, is a classy name with a great history that includes Ms. Etta James, with her gorgeous vocals. It's a name that, unlike Edison, doesn't scream "They wanted a boy, but they got me!" Unlike Ettasyn, it is classy, easy to pronounce, and doesn't say "Hookyd on Phonycs workyd for my parynts!" Sorry to put it so bluntly.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina