Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Dilemma

Unhappy Dilemma

I was looking at the top 1000 names in England and was astonished to find that a lot of my favourite names were on the list! Major dilemma! It would be really helpful if you could list some other suggestions that are less popular-either variants or similar in style.

Maybe you could post some names too so the other Berries can give more unusual suggestions?

Names I like and I know are popular top 1000:
    Emmeline
    Julia
    Abigail
    Ottilie
    August
    Olive
    Finn
    Arthur
    Samson

Names I have no idea what the popularity rating is:
    Primrose
    Iola
    Skandar
    Ursula
    Wren
    Polly
    Saxon

I think it is because NB is mainly a American forum. I seem to go off their popularity ratings which are behind ours [we like our diminutives and most of the vintage names are already revived here. [which is sad because I really want some names that seem 'old fashioned' but now sound cool]]

Please can you help me find some names that are still in my style but are not in the top 1000 and not kreyaateev [history+vintage appeal are a bonus]

Thank You!
    berry combo results
    copy the link into your internet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d47y3juii5a5ko3/berry%20combo%20summer%202014.pdf?dl=0

Sweets, you do realise that the E&W top 1000 is for the most pretty obscure? All boys names after #400 were given to less than 100 babies, the same for girls from #430. If you want names outside of top 1000 it means names that were given to less than 26 boys and 34 girls. Which makes them pretty weird.

Look here:
    Emmeline - #749 (50 babies)
    Julia - #78 (759 babies)
    Abigail - #38 (1483 babies)
    Ottilie - #776 (48 babies)
    August - #2892 (6 babies)
    Olive - #343 (139 babies)
    Finn - #136 (469 babies)
    Arthur - #68 (961 babies)
    Samson - #490 (74 babies)

Primrose - #1096 (31 babies)
    Iola - #1729 (16 babies)
    Skandar - unranked (3 or less babies)
    Ursula - #1608 (18 babies)
    Wren - #1096 (31 babies)
    Polly - #272 (180 babies)
    Saxon - #1447 (16 babies)

Suggestions from outside the Top 1000:
    Estelle
    Celeste
    Lorna
    Marni
    Petra
    Anwen
    Giselle
    Melina
    Rita
    Vivien
    Vienna
    Pia
    Luella
    Una
    Celia
    Isadora
    Lucille
    Celine
    Nola
    Gaia
    Marianne
    Ramona
    Rosina
    Sabina
    Ingrid
    Mira
    Uma
    Oriana
    Viola
    Winifred
    Carolina
    Anouk
    Cassia
    Hester
    Rosalind
    Ariadne
    Inez
    Selma
    Irina
    Bronwen
    Delphine
    Elaine
    Polina
    Willa
    Silvia
    Carina
    Octavia
    Cicely
    Clover
    Imelda
    Talitha

Jarvis
    Willem
    Cassian
    Cosmo
    Derek
    Clement
    Ivo
    Orion
    Bernard
    Ivor
    Torin
    Caspian
    Leopold
    Ravi
    Cyprian
    Horatio
    Lucius
    Quentin
    Florian
    Emmett
    Maurice
    Roland
    Bertram
    Castiel
    Griffin
    Llyr
    Marius
    Taliesin
    Basil
    Emrys
    Geoffrey
    Humphrey
    Odin
    Pavel
    Stephan
    Roscoe
    Dashiell
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Oh Ottilie-thank you! You saved my socks [if that is what you say] I think I am getting top 100 and top 1000 mixed up. Oh and thank you for the suggestions-they are marvellous + darling and it must have taken you absolutely ages to do that. Oh that has put a smile on my frowning face. Oh lovely, happy day!
    berry combo results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d47y3juii5a5ko3/berry%20combo%20summer%202014.pdf?dl=0

Yeah, top 1000 in E+W is nowhere near as popular as top 1000 for US, due to the sheer difference in size of population.

Just going to throw out my perceived popularity rating for the names, because sometimes it makes a difference where you are in the country as to what names are popular and E+W doesn't break down by county I don't think. So for London:

Emmeline - Not come across one, but Emma/Emily/Emilia are all popular so I don't think this one will be far off following them.
    Julia - I've not met anyone under the age of 20 with this name
    Abigail - Most popular on young girls of all your girl names, but still not everywhere.
    Ottilie - Never met one, though Tilly (as nn for Ottilie/Matilda or as given name I don't know) I hear quite a bit of
    August - Never met one though US popularity could mean it crosses over here and rises.
    Olive - Never met one, though Olivia is popular and it's the name of David Tennant's eldest which might boost it.
    Finn - Most popular of your boy names, I hear it (and full names like Finlay) a lot.
    Arthur - Heard of a few, think it's rising.
    Samson - Samuel is more popular, I hear nn Sam a lot though.

Primrose - Never heard it been called, though other Rose names (Rosie etc) are getting popular on young girls. Think Hunger Games may boost this.
    Iola - Unusual, I'd say no chance of getting popular any time soon
    Skandar - Unusual but has actor Skandar Keynes as a namesake. Think it's missed it's chance to rise due to him though
    Ursula - I don't think this will ever be popular as it's the name of the witch in the Little Mermaid.
    Wren - Growing I think, heard it a couple of times both as just Wren and as a nn for Florence.
    Polly - Only ever heard of one, in her 20s, though is an-ee ending nickname and the trend does present Polly as an alternative to Poppy, Holly etc. May rise but uncertain.
    Saxon - Never heard of one, though again could rise as an alternative to Jackson.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    Yeah, top 1000 in E+W is nowhere near as popular as top 1000 for US, due to the sheer difference in size of population.

Just going to throw out my perceived popularity rating for the names, because sometimes it makes a difference where you are in the country as to what names are popular and E+W doesn't break down by county I don't think. So for London:

Emmeline - Not come across one, but Emma/Emily/Emilia are all popular so I don't think this one will be far off following them.
    Julia - I've not met anyone under the age of 20 with this name
    Abigail - Most popular on young girls of all your girl names, but still not everywhere.
    Ottilie - Never met one, though Tilly (as nn for Ottilie/Matilda or as given name I don't know) I hear quite a bit of
    August - Never met one though US popularity could mean it crosses over here and rises.
    Olive - Never met one, though Olivia is popular and it's the name of David Tennant's eldest which might boost it.
    Finn - Most popular of your boy names, I hear it (and full names like Finlay) a lot.
    Arthur - Heard of a few, think it's rising.
    Samson - Samuel is more popular, I hear nn Sam a lot though.

Primrose - Never heard it been called, though other Rose names (Rosie etc) are getting popular on young girls. Think Hunger Games may boost this.
    Iola - Unusual, I'd say no chance of getting popular any time soon
    Skandar - Unusual but has actor Skandar Keynes as a namesake. Think it's missed it's chance to rise due to him though
    Ursula - I don't think this will ever be popular as it's the name of the witch in the Little Mermaid.
    Wren - Growing I think, heard it a couple of times both as just Wren and as a nn for Florence.
    Polly - Only ever heard of one, in her 20s, though is an-ee ending nickname and the trend does present Polly as an alternative to Poppy, Holly etc. May rise but uncertain.
    Saxon - Never heard of one, though again could rise as an alternative to Jackson.
    Thank you. I feel oh so more reassured even with only two replies. laughed a lot at the bit about Skandar Keynes because that is where I got the name from!
    berry combo results