Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

By Air or by... the car rental place? Thoughts on Avis?

Just cruising around on nameberry, when I found the name Avis. I think it's pretty. So I click on it and find:
    Avis is a bird name that's been in hibernation for awhile, possibly due to the car rental association, but it could make a return on the wings of Ava.

-.-

What are your thoughts on the name? Pretty and Unique? Car Rental Place? "Not your style"? Would you be confused if little Avis was introduced to you at the playground?

I haven't yet fallen completely in love with it, but I feel like I possibly could... Could you?

Overall: Yay or Nay?
    →teenberry←
    you can call me gail

□rosemary, anne, wynne, hattie, elisabeth, catherine, clare, ellis, frances, adele, sybil, virginia□
    ■walter, joseph, bruno, philip, willis, perry, thomas, bernard, arthur, martin, peter, franklin, raymond■
    ◊ guilty pleasures: kitty, ashton, sunday, magdalene, blanche, agnes, diane, della, vienna, philomena, phyllida, sally, sullivan, bayard, cletus, orville, atticus, atlas◊
    ♣ sibsets: anne "annie" and james, rosemary "rosie" and bruno ♣

I kind of love it.

But...the car rental place has, indeed, ruined it for me. :/ Then again, once it was on a person that I knew, I'd probably get over that pretty quickly.

Pity, but I associate it with car rentals. I'd try to overcome the association if I knew a child with the name, but every time I passed through an airport, I'd be reminded. Nay.

Might I suggest Avice? It's a legitimate spelling variation of Avis that leaves behind the car rental association.

I like it... I think it's a pretty and unique name.
    I'd use it as a nn and try to find a longer full name to match it incase the car rental association proves too much for others to handle.