Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

John - a strong classic, but too boring?

I've always liked classic names, but not quite the mainstream, run-of-the-mill names. My name is very popular for my generation so it's caused me to steer clear of really letting myself ever LOVE or seriously considering using a very common name (William, Benjamin, David, Thomas, Jacob, etc.). However, I'm really starting to like John. I find one-syllable boy names to be very masculine and strong. I love that about John. And, surprisingly, I do like how it has so much history behind it. I'm just weary of it's "commonness." Is it still too popular? Too boring? Could it be time to bring it back and make it fresh again? Funny enough, I'm starting to feel the same way about Mary. I would never use them as siblings, but they're both really growing on me, especially John.

What are your thoughts about John?
    Mom to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Griffin (Finn). Euan. John (Johnny).

Sylvie. Iris. Gwyneth (Gwen). Daphne (Effie). Piper.

I don't dislike it. I think the hardest part of it for me, is that I went to a Catholic school and knew a LOT of Johns. I really like the sound of it, just knew too many.

Great name! And I think its popularity has been down for the past 20 yrs, so I suspect he won't know too many other in his age group.

I love the name John though I prefer Jon. I don't think its its very popular anymore the youngest John I know personally is in his twenties. I find it very strongnand handsome. I would use it if I could.

I just looked the name up on SSA and am shocked to see that it's STILL really popular (#28 nationally; #39 in my state but Jonathan is #28 in my state and I imagine they will be called Jon). I have only come across one young John (as in younger than 40). He was 4, but that was about 5 years ago. I thought it was so weird to meet a young John! I'm getting bummed out because I'm REALLY liking this name but thinking about how miserable I was growing up sharing my name with so many other kids really makes me want to avoid doing the same thing to my children...
    Mom to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Griffin (Finn). Euan. John (Johnny).

Sylvie. Iris. Gwyneth (Gwen). Daphne (Effie). Piper.