Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Angry Back to the drawing board?

I know that this has happened to others of you, but I'm still upset.

We had originally come down to two names for a boy and had finally decided on Malcolm as our boy's choice. Yesterday we heard that my cousin, who has been planning on naming her little boy Liam Jackson since before she was even expecting, has named him Malcolm! Liam was to popular suddenly.

I don't know if it is a coincidence or I mentioned the name to her. We are trying to keep the names quiet.

So, Malcolm is out of the running, leaving us with William Walker (Walker is my maiden name and William is DH's father who passed when he was fairly young.)

The name has wonderful personal meaning, but while William Walker Lewis sounds great I am still unsure about Bill Lewis and really don't like Billy.

What do you think? Use William Walker or start again?

I'm so sorry, that's really rough. I LOVE Walker. What about Will or Willem to avoid the Bill/Billy nickname?

So sorry! I have a semi-similar situation but not quite as dramatic and direct as yours. My husband and I have liked the name Declan for YEARS. We heard that "Deke" was more or less the "official" nickname used, but have also heard Dex (Decs). We liked it much better. Well, a close friend of mine just had a boy and named him Maddax but call him Dax. It has totally turned me off from the name and I'm so disappointed. Although, I'm not pregnant yet and it's not the EXACT name we were going to use like you.

I don't like Bill or Billy, either. I prefer Will. Although, with the popularity of Liam, he could end up being called that when he's older and his peers choose a nickname for him. I really like Liam, but again, the gaining popularity may turn you off?

Anyway, William Walker Lewis sounds really cool, in my opinion. However, I think you need to still go back to the drawing board. To me, it sounds like you really loved Malcolm and while you really like William, it doesn't quite give you that same "oomph" that made you know that Malcolm was the one.

Here's some ideas to get you started:
    Oliver
    Reid
    Duncan
    Miles/Milo
    Marcus
    Graham
    John
    Wesley
    Dean
    Dexter
    Nolan
    Warren
    Byron
    Benjamin
    Elliot
    Isaac
    Emmett
    Vincent
    Simon
    Philip
    Preston
    Ian
    Henry
    Mom to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Griffin (Finn). Euan. John (Johnny).

Sylvie. Iris. Gwyneth (Gwen). Daphne (Effie). Piper.

Will is my preference for a William nn. Also, I love the name Cabot lately. And for some reason, I associate Desmond with Malcolm, at least it's an alternative.

I prefer Will as a nickname. Could you do Walker William? I know a few Walkers, I don't think it's too surnamey if that's a concern. And then William would just be a middle, no need to worry about potentially dreadful nicknames. I'm sorry you've lost your dream name, best of luck choosing!!