Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iamamiam View Post
    My name is Amity. (I am Am, I am like I am Sam I am (Dr. Suess) see?

I think it is becoming less of an issue. No one has mentioned it to my face for a long time. I'm not sure if an adult ever has. People usually tell me that it is pretty--which of course the polite thing to do but I suppose a few actually mean it, haha. It is really fun to run across it used as a word in literature (one of the Canterbury Tales, Jane Eyre, Gone With the Wind) and French people and those with large vocabularies who know/have an idea of the meaning often complement it.

My sister calls me Spam, I correct her and tell her that it is the Spaminator. My husband likes to name his video game characters Ammo...
    Glad to see it works in the real world Spam and Spaminator make me laugh, lol.
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

Quote Originally Posted by wgcathyhillary View Post
    I'm 17 and I have no idea what Amityville is, but I love the name Amity! So either I missed the memo or that reference is lost on the coming generations.
    I'm the same age!

I hope the reference will fade away! It looks like overall, the younger gen doesn't know about it, but a lot of my friends are familiar with it.

I said Amityville for short for Amityville Horror - a famous horror book and movie. The story itself claims to be based on a true account of a family that lived in the Amityville house and the paranormal experiences they had there.
    Last edited by tay2thestars; July 31st, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

I also find Amity a very pretty name with a lovely meaning.
    I slightly hesitate at the Amityvillle link so have come to prefer Verity over Amity.
    BABY GIRL FINALLY DUE 5 October after 2 Years of IVF
    Delivery booked: Debuting on or before 26th September!

Current favourite "top" 3 girls names for little Miss: Phoebe Rose Eloise
    Other (MNs probably) we like: Matilda Madeleine Charlotte Eliza Violet Kate Jade Elizabeth Iris Scarlett Felicity Chloe

Current (but never to be used...) favourite boy names: Oliver Thomas Henry William Alexander Flynn Liam Hugo Isaac Bennett Nikolai Reid Edward nn Ned Gus Tobias Austin Blake

even if people don't initially think about Amityville, the longer they know her it'll come up. 'huh that's the same as that movie' etc

and it definitely will on school when kids go through the what's your name mean phase'

things like this can go from real bullying, to innocent teasing, to just mentioning it once as a matter of fact.

bottom line: I wouldn't want to be named this or any name no matter how pretty with such a connotation & living with it forever. and most people would agree

YOU may not mind having a child named Amity

BUT THE REAL QUESTION IS

WILL YOUR CHILD???

answer: probably not

try: Verity

I'm 14 and had to run a Google search for this. Amity is wonderful, don't let a movie ruin it for you!
    ~~~~~~14 year old Canadian geek~~~~~~
    Girls:
    Alaska, Laila, Jasmine, Rachel, Amara, Daine, Anne, Sarai, Caroline, Alianne, Freya, Sophie, Coraline, Beth
    Combos: Alaska Jasmine, Alianne Inara, Laila Coraline, Freya Sarai, Anne Zaina, Rachel Amira, Amara May, Sophie Noor, Beth Aziza
    Boys:
    Avery, Rowan, Stellan, Sky, Dusk, Hart, Castiel, Alastair
    Combos: Dusk Alexander, Sky Amir, Hart Ismail