Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    My name is Amity. (I am Am, I am like I am Sam I am (Dr. Suess) see?

I think it is becoming less of an issue. No one has mentioned it to my face for a long time. I'm not sure if an adult ever has. People usually tell me that it is pretty--which of course the polite thing to do but I suppose a few actually mean it, haha. It is really fun to run across it used as a word in literature (one of the Canterbury Tales, Jane Eyre, Gone With the Wind) and French people and those with large vocabularies who know/have an idea of the meaning often complement it.

My sister calls me Spam, I correct her and tell her that it is the Spaminator. My husband likes to name his video game characters Ammo...

Anyway Verity is really pretty, too, if the Amityville thing is still too much of a turn off. Or maybe Amica / Amika or Aminta. Another 3-syllable A name I love is Adira. Good luck!
    Last edited by iamamiam; July 31st, 2013 at 07:26 PM.

I know an adult Amity, and I don't think she's ever gotten any Amityville comments. She really likes her name. I wouldn't think Amityville first.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

I probably wouldn't have made the connection if you hadn't mentioned it. Even though the book version of that movie scared me so well as a kid it kinda scarred me for life.

So if you think its pretty, try adding something lovely next to it to take away the association. Like a flowery nick name. If I heard "Amity Rose" for example, I wouldn't think of the horror flick at all.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyva View Post
    Keep in mind that while it is a movie that was made once (maybe twice)? Anyway you never when Hollywood will remake a movie with same name. They could easily remake that movie.
    I hope not! They've already made sequels to it...we don't need a remake!
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

I'm 17 and I have no idea what Amityville is, but I love the name Amity! So either I missed the memo or that reference is lost on the coming generations.
    Felicity ~ Calista ~ Claudia ~ Beatrice "Betty" ~ Carlotta ~ Millie ~ Cora ~ Audrey ~ Violet

Calvin ~ Jude ~ Miles ~ Oliver ~ Roscoe ~ Benjamin ~ Leo ~ Adrian ~ Isaac ~ Colin

Please rate my namelist! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9831814