Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by hermione_vader View Post
    Fiona is a gorgeous name and not too Shrek-y at all. I've never understood why people worry about the ogre references---Fiona is a fantastic character in that series and the whole point of her is to show that beauty is not just skin deep.
    This exactly. I don't think Shrek with the name Fiona since I've known several people by that name. It's a beautiful name, and even in Shrek, she was a great character. I prefer Fiona to Scarlett with your other children's names, though Guinevere is lovely as well.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Veronica ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

(Still) trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

It always bothers me when people consider the Shrek association with Fiona negative. Princess Fiona is a much better role model than most of the Disney princesses whose names are popular (Aurora, anyone?) The message they send when Fiona stays an ogre is that physical appearance doesn't matter, and I think that's an overwhelmingly positive association to have with a name, especially in a day and age where anorexia is increasing in girls as young as 8. Just my two cents.

That said, I also don't think of Shrek when I hear Fiona. I just think of Scotland.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Odette Cosima Fionnuala Iphigenia Coraline
    Emmett Kieran August Malcolm Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by geeknamezyo View Post
    It always bothers me when people consider the Shrek association with Fiona negative. Princess Fiona is a much better role model than most of the Disney princesses whose names are popular (Aurora, anyone?) The message they send when Fiona stays an ogre is that physical appearance doesn't matter, and I think that's an overwhelmingly positive association to have with a name, especially in a day and age where anorexia is increasing in girls as young as 8. Just my two cents.

That said, I also don't think of Shrek when I hear Fiona. I just think of Scotland.
    That's a good point. She is a good role model. But honestly, I was hoping the it wouldn't be associated with it so much that she would get overly teased. We have already decided we like Fiona Guinevere McCarthy. We're choosing a few names we like so we can decide which one fits her best when she is here. Thank you, everyone for letting me know Fiona stands on its own without Shrek.

My husband likes Carys Maiwenn too. I think I need a name to go with Scarlett if she's a little spit-fire.

My little sis's name is Fiona. No one really associates her name with Shrek that often. I LOVE Fiona Scarlett from your list!
    ~Tali~

Girls: Ivy, Caroline, Bryony, Augusta, Idony, Adeline, Elizabeth, Sage, Delphine

Boys: Adrian, Halcyon, Everett, Nathaniel, Elliott, Brighton, Theodore, Levi, Camden

Personally, Fiona is too Shreky for me. That might change if I ever met someone named Fiona but that movie was big part of my childhood so that's what I think of. But Shrek isn't a bad connotation. She was a kick ass princess and should be the model for little girls, not princesses like Ariel. If you love it, go for it.
    Here are my opinions on your others:
    Scarlett- I love Scarlett. I have only met one little girl named Scarlett but it seems to be trendy right now. I love it, and I think of Scarlett O'Hara, so it has that great connotation.
    Guinevere- This one has grown on me. I have it on my character list (aka my GP list that I use for brain children) and I would love to see it on a little girl.
    Eris- Eris was the goddess of Strife and Discord in Greek mythology if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't want to name my child after that kind of goddess but if that doesn't bother you than... I guess its okay. I don't like the sound in general but its not bad.
    Daenerys (Dan-eris)- this just isn't my style. Its kind of old lady sounding to me but if you like it than use it.

May I suggest Gwyneth or Gwendolyn (my preferred out of the two). When I saw Fiona, I immediately thought Freya was a good alternative and you seem to like Welsh/Mythology stuff so I think those names fit into your theme. Carys also came to mind. Love your other children's name btw. Especially Orion and Rowan. Good luck and congrats!
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    | Zoe | Jane | Lilia | Thalia | Natalia | Alice | Helen | Calliope | Johanna | Selene |

| Dimitri | Augustus | Linus | Jude | Thomas | Basil | Abram | Samuel | Jasper | Gus |

Pondering: | Elsa | Emma | Isabel | Petra | Emmanuel | Jonas | Marcus |

Have a fabulous day!