Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Do you guys mind me asking where you found information on your ancestors?

Uncommon names in my family tree:

Ichabod, Archibald, Clementina, Thankful, Franz, Ebenezer, Constance (not too weird), Giles, Bethia, Solomon, Blanche, Laurencia, Elodia, Isidore, Rudolph

pemdas, I have been working on my tree off and on for years. Currently I subscribe to ancestry.com and use familysearch.org, but I have also used old-fashioned library research and some branches have plenty of on-line stuff available for free!

Quote Originally Posted by pemdas View Post
    Do you guys mind me asking where you found information on your ancestors?
    Ancestry is a good starting point, but you have to pay for it. There's also HeritageQuest, which is free but you need a library card for a subscribing library to use it. I think some libraries have free access to Ancestry as well.

Some state archives have started putting their records online. Search Google and see if your state has something like this. Also try USGenWeb and Cyndi's List. The latter is a treasure trove of possible resources.

Depending on how much you know about your family, it might be easiest to print out a five-generation chart and fill in what you know. Once you've done that you can work on filling in the blanks, and if you get hooked like I did it will spiral out of control from there.

Don't expect to be able to do everything online, because you can't. Document all sources. Have an unquestionable source for every person, name, place, date, and event you add to your tree. I learned that the hard way.
    Last edited by southern.maple; August 2nd, 2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Two of my favorite names are on this list! I absolutely adore Electra and Waldo. I'll thrilled to see that Electra in particular has a much longer and more consistent history of use than I'd thought. I wish Waldo would come back. It's so quirky and handsome. I would use Waldo in a minute.

I could see Alma and Alta getting more use thanks to the popularity of Ava and the Ad- names (Adelaide, Adele, etc), but Arden is more likely than Arlet to climb the charts.

I would love it if Etta became a sleeper hit like Matilda. Essie, on the other hand, is too nicknamey to stand on its own. It could be a sweet short form of Elizabeth or Isabella, though.

With Southern-inflected surname-names like Colton and Dalton and Remington becoming popular, Lafayette could gain traction -- though I wouldn't be surprised to see it appropriated for girls. Lemuel is a nice alternative to Samuel, but with a hickish, redneck twang a la Jethro.

Lettice isn't coming back. Lettie, on the other hand, might join Etta and Hattie as hipster favorites.

I could even see Myrtle picking up in use, given the fad for old lady names (Adele used Ethel!). Minerva deserves to be heard more -- it's a wonderful mythological name, strong yet delicate.

I really like Nell, Nelly, and Nella, particularly as short forms for the gorgeous and underused Antonella. Nettie and Netta are cute but feel unfinished, and I'm not crazy about Annette.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...