Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    The banana thing for sure totally works.

Also, you should start taking prenatals ASAP if you aren't already. Make sure they have a decent amount of Folic Acid. I used to throw up every single day from my prenatal vitamins, the regular dose ones you take once a day (it is common to feel sick from prenatal vitamins, has to do with the high amounts of Iron & Calcium) - then I switched to a lower dose vitamin "Vivitas Woman" where you take 3 pills per day, and they were much gentler on my stomach. Either way, try to take the bulk of your vitamins in the evening with your dinner or a bedtime snack (Banana!).

If you have trouble sleeping when your belly gets bulkier talk to your doctor about a natural product called "Calms Forte". I asked my doctor if I could take them during pregnancy & he said that is totally fine. I have read some women find it can cause constipation, but I only took them once in a while & that has never been a problem for me!

There are lots of things you need to avoid... its easy to find websites and books listing foods and activities to look out for (write yourself a list & keep it in your wallet for when you go out to eat or whatever), but some things you might not think about:
    Pain killers for that baby backache - stick to Acetaminophen. Advil & Ibuprofen are blood thinners & muscle relaxants that can harm your little one.
    Sore throat & stuffy nose - this is common & the stuffy nose can last all the way through pregnancy. Take Ginger and/or peppermint tea (you might want to take this anyway since they can help with nausea). Avoid most cough syrups, Ricola & Halls.
    Allergies - Avoid allergy medications. For most, results of taking during pregnancy are unknown. Use a Netti Pot if your alergies really dry our your sinuses, or your doctor can prescribe the spray stuff.
    Temperature - Try not to take super hot baths (showers should be okay if you keep them short) as extreme heat changes can have negative effects on a developing fetus.
    What my Hubs would call "Hippie Stuff" (Essential oils etc) - Look out for herbal teas containing Rue, Golden Seal, Juniper, Autumn Crocus, Mistletoe, Bearberry, Pennyroyal, Poke Root, Southernwood, Wormwood, Mugwort, Tansy, Nutmeg, Cotton Root, Male Fern, Thuja, Calendula, Beth root, Feverfew, or Sage. Avoid any of these herbs in high amounts as they can cause contractions and therefore miscarriage. If you'd like more information about herbs during pregnancy "The Complete Woman's Herbal" is a great resource, it has lots of natural remedies and tips for all stages of life, from puberty through pregnancy & breastfeeding, to ageing. It also has some great at-home recipes for self healing, beauty & housekeeping. Excess amounts of caffeinne can lead to birth defects, so try to keep your intake to a reasonable level (I think they observed defects around 12+cups per day so if you need one or two to get you moving in the morning that should be okay). There are also a number of Essential oils to avoid. This site has a pretty good list of safe oils: “What Essential Oils Should I Avoid In Pregnancy?” And Weekend Links | Modern Alternative Pregnancy - this is good to know for use during pregnancy massage or general relaxation.

Most of all try to relax, don't sweat the small stuff or feel guilty if you mess up or do something "bad" without thinking. Stress is just as hard on your body, and your baby, as any of the things listed above.

Hope this isn't too much information. I may have gotten a little carried away!
    Last edited by katieydenberg; July 31st, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
    New username is @ truenature

Fantastic news. Congrats!!

corajsb- Thank you so much! Does the scary/nervous ever go away!? lol

velvetcrush- Thank you
    TTC Baby #1 Starts Next Month!

Quote Originally Posted by katieydenberg View Post
    The banana thing for sure totally works.

Also, you should start taking prenatals ASAP if you aren't already. Make sure they have a decent amount of Folic Acid. I used to throw up every single day from my prenatal vitamins, the regular dose ones you take once a day (it is common to feel sick from prenatal vitamins, has to do with the high amounts of Iron & Calcium) - then I switched to a lower dose vitamin "Vivitas Woman" where you take 3 pills per day, and they were much gentler on my stomach. Either way, try to take the bulk of your vitamins in the evening with your dinner or a bedtime snack (Banana!).

If you have trouble sleeping when your belly gets bulkier talk to your doctor about a natural product called "Calms Forte". I asked my doctor if I could take them during pregnancy & he said that is totally fine. I have read some women find it can cause constipation, but I only took them once in a while & that has never been a problem for me!

There are lots of things you need to avoid... its easy to find websites and books listing foods and activities to look out for (write yourself a list & keep it in your wallet for when you go out to eat or whatever), but some things you might not think about:
    Pain killers for that baby backache - stick to Acetaminophen. Advil & Ibuprofen are blood thinners & muscle relaxants that can harm your little one.
    Sore throat & stuffy nose - this is common & the stuffy nose can last all the way through pregnancy. Take Ginger and/or peppermint tea (you might want to take this anyway since they can help with nausea). Avoid most cough syrups, Ricola & Halls.
    Allergies - Avoid allergy medications. For most, results of taking during pregnancy are unknown. Use a Netti Pot if your alergies really dry our your sinuses, or your doctor can prescribe the spray stuff.
    Temperature - Try not to take super hot baths (showers should be okay if you keep them short) as extreme heat changes can have negative effects on a developing fetus.
    What my Hubs would call "Hippie Stuff" (Essential oils etc) - Look out for herbal teas containing Rue, Golden Seal, Juniper, Autumn Crocus, Mistletoe, Bearberry, Pennyroyal, Poke Root, Southernwood, Wormwood, Mugwort, Tansy, Nutmeg, Cotton Root, Male Fern, Thuja, Calendula, Beth root, Feverfew, or Sage. Avoid any of these herbs in high amounts as they can cause contractions and therefore miscarriage. If you'd like more information about herbs during pregnancy "The Complete Woman's Herbal" is a great resource, it has lots of natural remedies and tips for all stages of life, from puberty through pregnancy & breastfeeding, to ageing. It also has some great at-home recipes for self healing, beauty & housekeeping. Excess amounts of caffeinne can lead to birth defects, so try to keep your intake to a reasonable level (I think they observed defects around 12+cups per day so if you need one or two to get you moving in the morning that should be okay). There are also a number of Essential oils to avoid. This site has a pretty good list of safe oils: “What Essential Oils Should I Avoid In Pregnancy?” And Weekend Links | Modern Alternative Pregnancy - this is good to know for use during pregnancy massage or general relaxation.

Most of all try to relax, don't sweat the small stuff or feel guilty if you mess up or do something "bad" without thinking. Stress is just as hard on your body, and your baby, as any of the things listed above.

Hope this isn't too much information. I may have gotten a little carried away!

Not to much at all! It is helpful since I am flying blind. I am hoping my OBGYN will help as well. I have actually used calm forte before. That works magic. My boyfriend uses it when he gets restless and cant sleep. My one friend said the same thing is to try and relax. So far my stomach is in knots I think because we havent told our family members yet. I am nervous for that! Thank you for all this it is good to know these things
    TTC Baby #1 Starts Next Month!

The scary/nerves don't go away. My sister put it perfectly: "Getting pregnant is only the beginning of your worries. Welcome to parenthood."