Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Gia... For a guy?

Gia is the name I thought of for a boy character who is going to be in an upcoming comic of mine. He is a short, black-haired guy who shows very little emotion, and often comes off as depressed. But when I looked the name up on Google I found a site claiming it could be applied to both genders, but when I looked it up here it said that is was a female name. I do like the name, and I do think it would be sort of fitting for my character, and of course since my comic will be a work of comedy there could be some funny gender-confusion problems, but I just wanted to know if it might be a little over-the-top.
    ~Top Three Names~
    Girls-
    1.Lynne (or Lynn, either spelling)
    2.Violet
    3.April

Boys-
    1.Marco
    2.August
    3.Jared

Depends on the time period and genre. If its set in modern day, I would think it to be really odd on boy.
    Ingrid Genevieve | Evanna Yvaine | Winifred Delphine | Saoirse Elaine
    Astra Gillian | Rose Morgana | Irene Lourdes | Danae Andromeda

Damian Orion | Simon Cornelius | Gareth Evan | William Thierry
    Edmund Abraham | Wendell Eleazar | Shepherd Phoenix

I could see it working as a playful nickname for a couple (very) Italian names. Note that it would probably work best if Gia was said the Italian way (Jyah) vs (Gee-ah). You might consider any of the fuller names:

Giacinto
    Giacobbe
    Giacomo
    Giancarlo
    Gianfranco
    Gianluca
    Gianmarco
    Gianmaria (if gender confusion is something that you're after, you may want to consider this traditional male Italian name)
    Gianni (though this is a short form of Giovanni)
    Giannino (another short form of Giovanni, occasionally used as a full name)
    Gianpaolo
    Gianpiero
    Gionata (another good one for gender confusion, this one is the Italian form of Jonathan)
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell

I think it could work, maybe as a nickname for a longer name such as Giancarlo, but also as a full name. If you want, you can always explain it as "he was named after his grandmother" or something like that.

I think Gia sounds really cool for a guy.