Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Gia... For a guy?

Gia is the name I thought of for a boy character who is going to be in an upcoming comic of mine. He is a short, black-haired guy who shows very little emotion, and often comes off as depressed. But when I looked the name up on Google I found a site claiming it could be applied to both genders, but when I looked it up here it said that is was a female name. I do like the name, and I do think it would be sort of fitting for my character, and of course since my comic will be a work of comedy there could be some funny gender-confusion problems, but I just wanted to know if it might be a little over-the-top.
    ~Top Three Names~
    Girls-
    1.Lynne (or Lynn, either spelling)
    2.Violet
    3.April

Boys-
    1.Marco
    2.August
    3.Jared

Depends on the time period and genre. If its set in modern day, I would think it to be really odd on boy.
    Athena Nephele | Elowen Yvaine | Odelle Circe | Liesel Adeline
    Eve Astoria | Ottavia Primrose | Iris Honora | Rhea Eluned | Leda Ione | Peta Winifred
    Rosamund Saoirse | Emilia Mireille | Delphine Morgana | Valentine Juniper

Alaric Orion | August Benedict | Lincoln Eleazar | Remus Olivier
    Thomas Etienne | Samson Beau | Edmund Abraham | Raphael Sebastian | Nikolai Dieter
    Henry Shepherd | Ezra Phineas | Julian Felix | Cyrus Leonardo | Maxim Dimitri

I could see it working as a playful nickname for a couple (very) Italian names. Note that it would probably work best if Gia was said the Italian way (Jyah) vs (Gee-ah). You might consider any of the fuller names:

Giacinto
    Giacobbe
    Giacomo
    Giancarlo
    Gianfranco
    Gianluca
    Gianmarco
    Gianmaria (if gender confusion is something that you're after, you may want to consider this traditional male Italian name)
    Gianni (though this is a short form of Giovanni)
    Giannino (another short form of Giovanni, occasionally used as a full name)
    Gianpaolo
    Gianpiero
    Gionata (another good one for gender confusion, this one is the Italian form of Jonathan)
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico, Gianfranco, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa, Valerio
    Katarina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Romana, Alba, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirellina, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Cordelia, Leona/Leonie

I think it could work, maybe as a nickname for a longer name such as Giancarlo, but also as a full name. If you want, you can always explain it as "he was named after his grandmother" or something like that.

I think Gia sounds really cool for a guy.