Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Surnames as first names?

I posted a question about this before but didn't get much feedback, so I thought I'd try again. I apologize if asking again isn't appropriate.

Husband and I really like surnames as first names however, many don't work with our last name. It begins with P, ends in man, and is two syllables. We like a lot of surnames that end in "son" but with the ending of our last name its a bit too much and very law firm sounding esque. It's also very difficult to find surnames that do not end in "n." We really don't like the look of a first name and last name ending in the same letter for some reason.

We've actually gotten very nasty feedback, though we laughed it off, from an acquaintance insisting surnames have no business as first names and what would we do if our son/daughter wanted to hyphen their name if they got married. We'd be "saddling" our child with three last names. A friend of ours technically has three first names as his last name is James, so he is Aaron Thomas James and he doesn't feel saddled. We still like surnames regardless. Are they doable to use on a child?

What are some surnames that do not end in son/man or "n" ? We're looking for something a little unusual but not off the wall.

I think I may have answered your last post, so sorry if I repeat some things, but I think surnames are nice as first names. I would much rather see someone with a surname as a first name than to see someone with another meaningless made up trendy name.
    I think that your acquaintance, besides being pretty rude, is completely wrong. I had/have three first names as both my full maiden and married names, and the only issues I've ever had are with people thinking that my last name is my first name. I definitely wouldn't use the term "saddled."
    Having said that, I think that surnames as first names are somewhat more doable on boys than on girls.

Surnames that are also first names:
    Alexander
    Bailey
    Bennett
    Bradley
    Carter
    Clark
    Cole
    Davis
    Duncan
    Elliott
    Ellis
    Graham
    Grant
    Harper
    Harris
    Henry
    Howard
    James
    Kelly
    Lawrence
    Lewis
    Marshall
    Mitchell
    Murray
    Reed
    Riley
    Ross
    Russell
    Scott
    Spencer
    Stewart
    Wallace

Occupational surnames:
    Carpenter
    Cooper
    Fisher
    Gardner
    Hunter
    Miller
    Porter
    Weaver

Other surnames that could work:
    Armstrong
    Boyd
    Brooks
    Bryant
    Campbell
    Crawford
    Cunningham
    Foster
    Lawson
    Morris
    Palmer
    Pierce
    Price
    Shaw
    Tucker
    Turner
    West
    Wright

Hope some of this helps!
    Last edited by leahmarie512; July 29th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.

I'm in the camp that does not like surnames used as first names. It just does not appeal to me at all. The exception to this is when the surname has family significance, such as a connection through lineage, mother's or grandmother's maiden name etc.

I love many of the suggestions listed above, as many are not obvious surnames and would be very suitable in a first-name spot.
    Good luck!

Smith is my favorite surname that I think could be usable.
    A teenage writer and name lover~
    Eugenia Rosemary, Priscilla Beatrice, Louisa Eleanor, Anastasia Faye, Valentina Jane, Flora Guinevere
    Winston Kenneth, Malachi Robin, Roscoe Carlisle, Simon Glenn, Francis Arthur, Abraham Reuben

I love surnames as first names! Three of my favorites that aren't on the above list are Beckett, Everett (nn Ever or Rhett) and Sawyer.