Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Second cousins with rhyming names?

So I just had an 'uh-oh' moment concerning my name list.

My cousin recently had a baby girl named Kora. She's the first of my cousins to have a baby and nobody else is thinking about it anytime soon so this never even occurred to me, but the baby is my first cousin once removed, my kids and Kora would be second cousins. Would it be weird to have second cousins with names that rhyme? We're a relatively close-knit family so the kids would probably see each other a few times a year. However I'm not likely to have kids within the next couple of years unless there's a massive 'oops', so there would probably be an age difference of several years between them.

Right now I have Flora -- and Florence NN Flora -- on my list and am considering adding Thora. Would you eliminate these names because they rhyme with a family member's?
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Leona · Vivian · Florence · Beatrix · Zelda
    August · Barnaby · Roland · Whitney · Atlas

No, rhyming names would be a problem for siblings but for cousins (of any degree) it doesn't really matter.

I think there is no issue Florence NN Flora even if Flora was used most of the time.

Flora and Thora come down to personal preference. If it was me personally I wouldn't do it because I don't have many cousins so the rhyming would be obvious to everyone and it would probably bug me. If you have a huge family and your child is going to have 50 second cousins it's not a big deal IMO.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

If they're second cousins, it's not a big deal at all. I'm sure there are people you- that we all- see on a regular basis with names similar to/rhyming with yours, maybe even with the exact same name, and it's not really a concern, is it? (It was never for me at least, mildly amusing at most). In some families names are repeated numerous times to honour older members. My aunt by marriage has the same name as my grandma (i.e., my uncle married a woman with the same name as his mother) and took my uncle's surname so they have the exact same name- it can get kind of confusing but no hard feelings.

Also, from the sound of things they would have different last names to distinguish themselves. Flora (and Kora) are short enough that depending on what the middle names are they could be used to tell them apart too, e.g. there'd be no confusion between a Flora Jane and a Kora Lucille.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I don't think its a problem at all. I have nieces, who are first cousins, called Tilly and Millie and no one thinks its odd at all. Occasionally, if they are playing together then someone might comment on how cute it is, but other than that it doesn't really come up.
    ~ Mama to Juniper Elise and Arlo Edward James ~

Susannah - Celeste- Maybelle - Pearl - Callie - Eulalie - Clementine
    Another daughter: Callie Susannah Pearl

Asa - Tate - Rudy - Otis - Henry - Miles - Josiah
    Another son: Tate Henry Miles