Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I have several friends with longer names (Elizabeth, Madeline, Alexander, etc.) who are usually asked 'Do you go by a nickname?' On roll call at school, most kids who go by a nickname will say, "I go by..." Most will also introduce themselves using their nickname.

I'm generally a fan of longer names in general, because they allow a child to go by what name they like best. I love Theodora and Thora, so I would use Thora as the nickname. But, if Thora is a teen and dislikes her name, she can go by Thea or Teddi.

However, if you can't stand any other common nicknames for Theodora, go with Thora.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I think you should stick with Thora on its own. I have a nickname name and have always loved it. I think its somewhat silly to name a child something with the intention of calling them something else, SO if you intend on calling her Thora from the get go, name her Thora. It's a strong name on its own.

Thora is perfectly legitimate as a name on its own. Theodora is lovely but it does offer more nickname options and there is the possibility one day she may decide she prefers Teddy or Dora or something else. It's up to you whether that would bother you in which case go with Thora, or if you like the other nicknames.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

I would probably chose Theodora, and NN her Thora; but Thora is a fine stand alone name too.
    Raphael Benedict-Charles Igantius-Jude Sebastian-Eli Augustine-Samuel Damian

Lucia Marguerite-Genevieve Elisabeta-Maura Francesca

Scarlett-Caetana-Ophelia-Haidée-Afton-Ishmael-Matthias-Farrow-Crispin-Percy

Name her Theodora! My full name is Katherine although my parents always wanted to call me Kate/Katie and I really like having a full formal name because when I'm older I plan to go by it. Also, it's really not that big of a deal to correct the teacher on the first day of school, in all my classes about 1/4 of the kids at least go by a nn and have to correct the teacher. Plus, if your daughter doesn't like Thora she can go by her full name or another nn like Theo or Dora
    Just a 15 year old name lover.

Girls: Maren, Daphne, Thea, Dahlia, Marina, Maribel, Ivy, Scarlett, Rosalie, Serena and Marilyn

Boys: Theodore, Rocco, Maverick, Brooks, Jude, Ronan, Fabian, Callum, Harvey, Griffin and Vaughn