Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sylvie is a French name in it's own right; it certainly has enough gravitas to stand alone. If anyone asks, tell them Sylvie is the French form of Sylvia and leave it at that.
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.
    Little Sparkler coming next July.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

Sylvie is actually the French version of Sylvia, so it is definitely a proper name, as is Alienor to Eleanor, Maybelle to Mabel, Emilie to Emily and Evangelique for Evangeline. I think Sylvie's a gorgeous, refreshing name

I love Sylvie. As you can see below it's high on my list. It works perfectly well on its own in my opinion.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

it is a little bit for me.

i prefer nicknamey names to HAVE A FULL NAME.

so i'd name her Sylvia and call her Sylvie.

you have to think will a grown woman always want to be known as Sylvie?

using a 'full first name' gives your child OPTIONS & FLEXIBILITY so they arent stuck with a possibly unprofessional/grown up name that will go on business cards, the name plaque on her office door, called by her boss when shes up for a promotion, or said when shes introduced to her future husband for the first time etc.

I think Sylvie is perfect on it's own, and like pps have said, I look at it as Sophie to Sophia, Julie to Julia, etc. It sounds perfectly lovely on both a child and an adult. I actually prefer Sylvie a lot to Sylvia!