Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on Zillah pronounced like Lyla?

I've loved the name Lyla ever since I was young. My cousin had a lovely Aunt Lyla who I enjoyed spending time with even though she wasn't my own aunt. Lyla was named for her father, Lyle and I've always had it on my list of potential baby names. Part of the draw for the name was that it wasn't so common. Now it's fast rising in popularity and I am less inclined to use it because of that. A friend of mine has a niece, Lyla, and I am hearing it more and more. I grew up with an uncommon name, Libby. I only met one other older Libby growing up and her name was a nn, while mine is my full name. Libby seems to be getting a bit more use as a baby name and I guess there are more lil Libbys around, but still as a 30 something woman I don't run into other Libbys much, my age or younger.

Back to Zillah. I've been re-reading A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle and there is a character with the name, Zillah. My first take on reading it was that it should be pronounced Z(ill) ah, but that evokes thoughts of Godzilla and I'm not too sure about that. I love the look of the name and would love it with a pronunciation like Lyla Z(eye) lah. I'm thinking I would have to spell it as Zilah (think Delilah) or even Zyla to avoid it being pronounced Z(ill) ah, but then I wonder if I am venturing too far into creative spelling and made up names. I want a less common name for my baby, but one that is also not too out there. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I think it would have to be Zilah, because Zillah definitely reads as the short-vowel i sound. It's definitely uncommon, but not unheard of. I just looked at the extended name list for 2011 and there were 9 Zilahs and 9 Zillahs in the US last year. Not sure about Canada (it looks like you're from there, right?). I'd be interested in seeing what other Berries think, but I like it.
    Mama to Juno Elizabeth and twins Daphne Ramona and Luella Maeve.

You might consider Xyla if you really want the "eye" sound. I could see people saying Zee-lah for Zilah. It's very uncommon, but I can see the appeal.

I definitely see the appeal, but I don't think Zillah or Zilah would ever be seen as "Zyla," and would always be assumed to be "Zilla" like Godzilla, even if you corrected people.

I think Lyla is your best bet.

Zyla is OK... Am I off-base to mention Zyllah as an option?
    Current Favorites:
    Elizabeth Lily nn Ellie
    Mary Emmeline nn Maisie
    Sarah Evangeline nn Sadie

Nathaniel nn Nate

Quote Originally Posted by janetm View Post
    I think it would have to be Zilah, because Zillah definitely reads as the short-vowel i sound. It's definitely uncommon, but not unheard of. I just looked at the extended name list for 2011 and there were 9 Zilahs and 9 Zillahs in the US last year. Not sure about Canada (it looks like you're from there, right?). I'd be interested in seeing what other Berries think, but I like it.
    Yes, I'm from the West coast of Canada. I usually look at the vital stats website for my province for popularity of baby names and Zillah isn't listed, nor Zilah. Lyla was given to 36 babies in BC last year, but it's been on a steady increase since 2006 and I feel like it will only get more popular. It is still on my short list as I really do love it. Ah.

Quote Originally Posted by davisellu View Post
    You might consider Xyla if you really want the "eye" sound. I could see people saying Zee-lah for Zilah. It's very uncommon, but I can see the appeal.
    Thanks for the suggestion of Xyla.

Quote Originally Posted by raqkel View Post
    I definitely see the appeal, but I don't think Zillah or Zilah would ever be seen as "Zyla," and would always be assumed to be "Zilla" like Godzilla, even if you corrected people.

I think Lyla is your best bet.

Zyla is OK... Am I off-base to mention Zyllah as an option?
    No, not at all. I am liking the look of Zyllah too. Thank you. Yes, I really don't want to set my child up for a lifetime of correcting the pronunciation of their name. Hmm, more to think about.