Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Odin usable?

Is Odin usable?

It's not on my list right now, I'm just curious. A friend linked me to a baby photo contest page the other day and I (of course) had to browse through some of the other entries to see what their names were. And I saw two different baby boys named Odin, and one Odyn. So I'm just wondering.

Personally I think it'd be fine because:
    1) The sound of it "fits in" with the trendy names right now, since it's really only one syllable off from Aiden et al and ends with -in
    2) It has a cute nickname, Odie
    3) The namesake of the Norse god isn't something most people know a lot about, but even if they do he's a pretty badass namesake

What's your opinion? And just for fun, what siblings would you put with Odin?
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Guinevere · Vivian · Florence · Lilleba · Beatrix
    August · Barnaby · Roland · Lester · Whitney

I go back and forth on Odin. I do really love it, but sometimes think it might just be too much. If the surname was something more 'traditional' a la Miller or Morris, I might just consider it, but with Fu, it almost sounds comical. So, its only the middle for me. I'd admire someone who used it up front though.
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

I like Odin due to it's history and namesake. I like the robust O sound with it's softer ending. I would say it's more of a hipster choice right now.

I'd use it.
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas Calloway, Atlas Bram, Atlas Octavian
    Lyra Marigold, Lyra Blythe, Lyra Clementine

I think it's perfectly usable because of all the reasons you listed. I know a little Odin, brother to Jasmine.

I'd maybe go with a Norse theme with Odin, though nothing so obvious as Thor. Odin, Freyr, Eir, Saga...
    Or maybe just mythology in general Odin, Echo, Artemis, Loki...
    Last edited by dantea; July 28th, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014