Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rowan

Rowan

I had never really considered Rowan before since my usual taste is frilly, feminine names for girls, but I've seen it mentioned a few times here lately and it really struck me. It feels very southern to me (probably because of Rowan Oak, William Faulkner's home in Oxford, MS) and that is exactly the feeling I want. DH and I met in college in Oxford, so Rowan would hold special meaning that way too. On top of that, DH actually liked it! He almost never likes names that aren't very classic and familiar to him, so this was a feat in itself.

We like to use family names in the middle spot, and I wanted to use something very feminine as a middle name since Rowan is so gender neutral. What are your thoughts on Rowan Annabelle? I know the repeating "an" sound isn't ideal, but the I pronounce Rowan more like row-en so it hasn't bothered me.

Thanks for your feedback!

Rowan is my favorite girls name.. I would use Rowan Seraphina

To be completely honest, I don't like it... nms. It actually seems so macho to me that I probably wouldn't even use it for a boy (think Conan the Barbarian category). But if you like it, go for it... to each their own. Congrats!
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Thanks for your feedback! Seraphina is pretty but a bit too much name for me. It also doesn't honor our family name in the middle tradition.

Unfortunately most of our family names are pretty gender neutral and won't really work for distinguishing Rowan as a girl name.

Our options are:
    Catherine
    Ann (or variations of)
    Olivia (great grandmother was Ollie, but this name is so common that I don't love it)
    Leigh (my maiden name is Lee, but I'd want to change the spelling to make it feminine, so not ideal)

I love Rowan Annabelle. Annabelle seems like a perfect middle to up the femininity of Rowan.
    Matilda, Louise, Zoe
    Gregory, Ezra, Simon