Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Eloise or Amelia?

These are our top two contenders!

Eloise (DH's grandma's name is Louise) is DH's favorite. I like the possibility of nicknames, but a classic name. I sometimes think it may be a mouthful? Maybe I'm reading into it too much? I do think it is a nice name, but I get a LOT Of negativity from it and have yet to meet anyone in real life who says that they really like it.

Amelia is our other choice. I think it's a nice classic as well, but gaining popularity. I know a few baby Amelia's so it seems to be very popular in our area.

Middle name will be Joyce or Joy after my grandmother.

Our other kids are Ava Mackenzie (7) and Asher Davis (2). They both happened to end up with A names. Ava was named after my great-grandmother, Eva. I liked the meaning behind Asher's name. I don't feel like I have to stick with an A name.

I'm open to other suggestions as well!

I LOVE Violet - vetoed by DH. We've thought about Alice (we like it, but neither is sold on it as 'the one').

Amelia Joyce sounds nice together, very classic and stylish. I personally prefer Elowen over Eloise.

Amelia is really, really popular on my end. In 2012, it was ranked 23 in the US.

Eloise is a nice name. I wouldn't call it a mouthful, but there is something a bit harsh about that last syllable. That said, it's easy to say and pronounce. And yes, lots of nicknames.

My vote is Eloise Joy.

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey

Because of the O sound in Eloise, I think it's a little hard to pronounce with O in Joy, so I'd go for Amelia Joy/Joyce instead. I do think that Alice is a better fit for your sibset though, Alice Joy works really well. Instead of Eloise, you could use Elise Joy. Jane Louise or Joy Louise work really well with your sibset too and could honor your grandmothers.

Some other possibilities:

Ava, Asher, and

Beth
    Claire
    Cora
    Ellen
    Esme
    Daphne
    Felice
    Gloria
    Helen
    Julia
    Liza
    Lois (I think this works really well, but not with Joy-- maybe another name meaning Joy-- Alizah, Geila, etc.)
    Louisa
    Lucy
    Lydia
    Nadia
    Rose
    Tessa
    Thais
    Thea
    Zoe

That's a tough choice, they're both really pretty! I would go with Eloise, I don't think it's harsh sounding at all, and I am in love with the nn Ellie. However, I agree with pp that Eloise Joy/Joyce doesn't sound right.. I guess I'm not very helpful!