Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Teresa for Mother Teresa would be nice. I really like the name Thais, which is different, but the connection is nice.
    I also always thought if I ever adopted I would name a girl Josephine or Mia or Mia Josephine perhaps! For Mia Farrow & Josephine Baker who both adopted many children. I guess I could add Angelina into the mix now!

The most awesome namesake I have come across is Hypatia. (Love that it is a feminist/intellectual/agnostic hero for those who research it) Unfortunately, I just don't think that is usable because it's so different that I imagine people would have difficulty remembering exactly what the name is. ("Ah, what was her name...it was really odd, but I can't remember...")

I love the Greek goddess names but am too chicken to use them myself: Andromeda (LOVE LOVE), Aphrodite (love), Athena (like), Venus (too bad it rhymes with penis)

Genevieve is so beautiful! And a wonderful namesake as well.

I also love Portia, don't like the connection people make to Porsches, but I like the Shakespearean connections.

Clara Barton is a nice namesake, too.
    Last edited by iamamiam; July 27th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Most of my favourite girls' names have an inspiring woman connected to them (one but obviously not the only reason I love them):

Portia, Cordelia- characters from Shakespeare
    Elizabeth- Elizabeth Bennet, Queen Elizabeth I and II
    Victoria- Queen Victoria
    Scarlett- Scarlett O'Hara (some may argue she's not a very good character, but despite her flaws I do admire her)
    Georgiana- Georgiana Darcy
    Diana- Princess Diana and a woman I know
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by ninanoo View Post
    Katherine after Captain Katherine Janeway of the USS Voyager... yeah a Star Trek character. lol
    You just gained about 394923845794353 awesome points! In the same way, I've always liked Leonard because of Dr Leonard "Bones" McCoy from The Original Series.

Rosalind - Rosalind Franklin

Hadley - my mother

Lyra - Belacqua

Beatrice - Much Ado About Nothing
    Alice. Marian. Juno. Branwen. Helena. Polly. Ophelia. Rosalind. Cosima. Matilda. Edith. Anna. Claudia. Frances.
    Arthur. Henry. Caspian. Stanley. Justice. Dexter. Edmund. Thomas. Nathaniel. Forest. Oscar. Lucian. Peter.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9782360
    http://listography.com/sapphires

Quote Originally Posted by iamamiam View Post
    The most awesome namesake I have come across is Hypatia. (Love that it is a feminist/intellectual/agnostic hero for those who research it) Unfortunately, I just don't think that is usable because it's so different that I imagine people would have difficulty remembering exactly what the name is. ("Ah, what was her name...it was really odd, but I can't remember...")
    Agree! I adore everything about Hypatia. I tested the waters with friends and family some time back when I got a kitten, and asked what names they liked (I gave them a list of some of my favorites). Hypatia wasn't liked by any of them, and I found out that most of them were saying it wrong, which may have factored into it. Shrug. I love it, but now I know most people do not. They all loved Pandora, however, which made me happy.

Anyway.

If I didn't give a hoot what the world thought of my daughters, I'd use the name of a woman from long ago:

Boudicca, the queen
    Hildegard, the poet
    Hypatia, the philosopher
    Sappho, the poet

or fictional inspirational females:

Anne, from Green Gables
    Eilonwy, from The Prydain Chronicles
    Eowyn, from Lord of the Rings
    Imogen "Idgie", from Fried Green Tomatoes
    Jane, from Jane Eyre
    Josephine, from Little Women
    Lyra, from His Dark Materials
    Melanie, from Gone with the Wind
    Scarlett, from Gone with the Wind
    Viola, from Twelfth Night

or personal heroes/favorites, most of which would make for an easier name to carry:

Alice Walker, the author
    Amelia Earhart, the aviator
    Ani DiFranco, musician
    Aretha Franklin, musician
    Billie Holiday, musician
    Blanche, my ancestor
    Christine, my mother
    Ella Fitzgerald, musician
    Etta James, musician
    Ida Forest, my ancestor
    Janis Joplin, musician
    Joni Mitchell, musician
    Lucille Ball, the comedian
    Maya Angelou, the author
    Octavia Butler, the author
    Shirley Jackson, the author
    Tori Amos, musician

What a fun thread. I could go on and on! I'd use any of these names except Shirley and Melanie, which I don't care for, but I'm such a fan of the namesakes that I had to include them.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander