Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ariadne?

Ariadne?

A couple questions.

1. Whats your opinion on Ariadne?
    (Feel free to say whatever you want, this is all hypothetical)

2. Is 4 syllables too much name?
    I'm worried it's a mouth full.

3. Any nicknames?
    I feel like there's not a lot of shortened versions that come naturally. On one hand I love that, because you steer clear of the unwanted nickname issue. (Like a mother who loves Lucas but hates Luke kind of thing).
    On the other, if it is too long, it might be good to have options.

4. Any similar suggestions?
    I'm really liking Greek names. Particularly mythology based ones, but others too.

Thanks!

I should try to dissuade you because I love it (partly because it is so unusual)! It is my second or first favourite name for a girl (it swaps around, maybe that's better, sometimes names don't fit on the day).

Ari and Adi for nicknames potentially, though I think people obsess over this a bit too much, give your kid whatever nn you want. I got 'possum' a lot from my parents...nothing to do with my name.

I should try to dissuade you because I love it (partly because it is so unusual)! It is my second or first favourite name for a girl (it swaps around, maybe that's better, sometimes names don't fit on the day).

Ari and Adi for nicknames potentially, though I think people obsess over this a bit too much, give your kid whatever nn you want. I got 'possum' a lot from my parents...nothing to do with my name
    Yes I like the uncommon factor of it too. I do really hope it doesn't gain in popularity a-la A.ria.

And you make a good point about the nicknames, I suppose if one came naturally then sure, use it, related or not, and if not, doesn't matter, I still like the full name.

I don't think it's too much. It's not more name than Isabella, Elizabeth, Seraphina or Penelope. The pronunciation may pose some difficulties.
    Yes, I thought of that after I posted, that being the time of Isabella and Olivia, its not really a big deal to have a long name.

The thing about the pronunciation issues is I don't know how it would be pronounced wrong, in the sense of how do you phonetically pronounce Ariadne haha? So hopefully instead of getting it wrong, most people would just ask, which is (slightly) less of a bother I'd think.

Also I hope maybe the rise of Penelope, Phoebe and Daphne might help out with the pronunciation, since people will be more familiar.

My favourites from your list are:
    Calliope
    Evadne
    Petra
    Persephone
    Eris

Thanks to both!

no i think that while unusual is still rolls off the tongue nicely. i wouldnt want a nickname for it, but Ari and Adi are both usable.