Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Vanessa was our front runner if this baby was a girl. It's a boy, so we're saving Vanessa for "next time." I did a lot of research on the name, and feel like I know more about Vanessa than my own name. I like it because it's a beautiful feminisma name that is underused yet familiar and meets my requirment of having no pronounciation issues. I would absolutely NOT categorize the name as dated. Although, it did find a lot of favor in the 80s and 90s, it isn't "stuck there." It has been in the top 200 since the early 1950s and in the top 100 for over 30 years (1977-2010). Unlike true dated names, Vanessa was never in the top 10 or 20 and in fact never made it past the top 50. Also, even though Vanessa is declining right now, it's not doing so rapidly. Dated names will normally rise to fame as quickly as they fall. That's not the case with Vanessa.
    As far as the style goes, I do see Vanessa as exotic, but that doesn't mean that it can't flow with an Irish last name. Moreover, Nessa is an actual Irish name, which you can use a nickname for Vanessa. Mason, Brenna and Vanessa (Nessa) sound great to me. Vanessa Maeve sounds gorgeous. Good luck
    Cecilia ♥ Vanessa ♥ Adriana ♥ Charlotte ♥ Viviana ♥ Tessa
    Adrian ♥ George ♥ Mark ♥ Leo ♥ Benjamin ♥ Julian

Quote Originally Posted by mellowyellow View Post
    Vanessa was our front runner if this baby was a girl. It's a boy, so we're saving Vanessa for "next time." I did a lot of research on the name, and feel like I know more about Vanessa than my own name. I like it because it's a beautiful feminisma name that is underused yet familiar and meets my requirment of having no pronounciation issues. I would absolutely NOT categorize the name as dated. Although, it did find a lot of favor in the 80s and 90s, it isn't "stuck there." It has been in the top 200 since the early 1950s and in the top 100 for over 30 years (1977-2010). Unlike true dated names, Vanessa was never in the top 10 or 20 and in fact never made it past the top 50. Also, even though Vanessa is declining right now, it's not doing so rapidly. Dated names will normally rise to fame as quickly as they fall. That's not the case with Vanessa.
    As far as the style goes, I do see Vanessa as exotic, but that doesn't mean that it can't flow with an Irish last name. Moreover, Nessa is an actual Irish name, which you can use a nickname for Vanessa. Mason, Brenna and Vanessa (Nessa) sound great to me. Vanessa Maeve sounds gorgeous. Good luck
    This. Exactly this.
    Previous account: elrock13

Well it's my younger daughter's name, so of course I think it's great. I agree with everything mellowyellow said about the name. I also want to add that I think Vanessa is a very versatile name that can be worn by virtually anyone of any background and goes great with most surnames. I love the flow of Vanessa Maeve McLastname.
    Hopeless romantic and proud momma of two princesses:
    Isabella Jane & Vanessa Rose

Lovely. Vanessa Maeve is darling!

I think Vanessa Maeve is darling. I also think it goes well with the siblings. I don't find it dated at all. I could just as easily picture a baby Vanessa as an adult Vanessa.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14