Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Kitty is becoming quite popular in England & Wales along with other vintage stand-alone nicknames names like Evie and Lottie. I have met 3 under 5 in the last few months. I think it is charming but i can understand the arguement for using as a nickname for a longer base name. I know a Caitlin nn Kitty (in her twenties) which is lovely. Personally, i would use it for any vintage name beginning with C or K eg Clementine.

I've always thought that sisters called Catherine and Susannah nicknamed Kitty and Sukie would be adorable.
    ~ Mama to Juniper Elise and Arlo Edward James ~

Susannah - Celeste- Maybelle - Pearl - Callie - Eulalie - Clementine
    Another daughter: Celeste Maybelle Susannah

Asa - Tate - Rudy - Otis - Henry - Miles - Josiah
    Another son: Tate Henry Miles

I
    Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    ...How would you feel if she shortened it to Kit?...
    I actually really like that nickname, though I think Kitty would be nickname enough. But, If this theoretical child really wanted to shorten it to Kit, I'd be okay with it.
    →teenberry←
    you can call me gail

□cecilia renee, kay wells, agnes, rosemary "rosie"□
    ■george, philip, thomas, bruno, james, mack, joseph, walter "walt", franklin, arthur■
    ◊guilty pleasures: della, philomela, sullivan◊

Quote Originally Posted by lizgingermitch View Post
    I'd keep it as a nickname. Unless you are extraordinarily well-to-do , and your money and your last name and the expensive education you will give to your child are there to make up for a name like Kitty, it's an irresponsible choice and it's unfair to your child. Was your grandmother actually named Kitty? It wasn't short for Catherine? Regardless, if you're stuck on Kitty, name her Catherine.
    My family is not the "rich-folk"; And yes. Her full name is Kitty. And her nickname (personality-related, not name-related) is Pinky.
    →teenberry←
    you can call me gail

■george, philip, thomas, bruno, james, mack, joseph, walter "walt", franklin, arthur■

I have to first admit that I adore nicknamey/cutesy names so so much. Kitty and Bunny and Honey are so sweet to me and I don't see the stripper-ish side to them. Even though I love this type of name, I wouldn't use one as a full name on a birth certificate. I ended up naming my daughter Leonie which has the cutesy -ie ending, but to me, feels more substantial & potentially adult/professional. I plan to use something that could nickname it's way to something like Bunny or Kitty for any second daughter. At the same time, I don't think it's abusive to call your daughter Roxie or Honey instead of Roxana or Honor in the long form.

I think Kitty is great, but I would use Catherine or something a bit more distinctive like Markita or Catalena or Citrine. Or you could stick Kit or Kitty in the middle and call her by it. Or go for something like Annika Therese to do a smoosh nickname.

I also think that you could easily call a girl with a true classic name like Elizabeth or Mary any nickname you like.

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    I think Kitty is great, but I would use Catherine or something a bit more distinctive like Markita or Catalena or Citrine. Or you could stick Kit or Kitty in the middle and call her by it. Or go for something like Annika Therese to do a smoosh nickname.

I also think that you could easily call a girl with a true classic name like Elizabeth or Mary any nickname you like.
    I'm not too excited about using a "Full Name" for Kitty, because I'm not a huge fan of name/nickname combos that just share one letter/basic sound. Like using Kitty for C/Katherine, when really the only thing they share is the first K/C sound. I like nicknames like Winnie for Winona, because they share the "WIN" prefix, or Nella for Agnella because "Nella" is actually in the name Agnella, they don't just share an initial. Kitty is my grandma's full name, and I think she wears it just fine as an adult {true, she's not a doctor or anything super "professional" as previous comments suggested}, which is why I would want to stick with it. But I do like that your alternative suggestions aremore than C/Katherine, so thank you for that

I kind of like the idea of Mary Kitty or Elizabeth Kitty or <insert classic name here> Kitty, but I would want to use a family middle name {Renee or maybe Theresa, for my mom}, or my grandma's middle name {Wells}. Yes, Kitty Wells. Odd combo, I know Do you think I could possibly do something like
    Mary/Elizabeth/<Classic Name> Kitty {First Name} Renee/Theresa/Wells {Middle Name}?

Thanks for your help~!
    Last edited by gailk; July 27th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
    →teenberry←
    you can call me gail