Names Searched Right Now:

The Theodore/Edward Conundrum

Hubs and I are kicking around Theodore (Teddy or Theo nn) as the most likely option for our second son who is due in December. However, we are having some trouble with the middle name. Our oldest son is Cole Matthew, named, in part, for my husband whose mn is Cole, and I would like to honor my brother this time by using his mn, Edward (also passed down from my uncle). My issue is this: Since they both share the nn Ted, are Theodore and Edward too similar? Weirder question, if we were to exclusively call him Teddy, should the mn flow with that as well?

I dont think it's weird at all. I really like Theodore Edward and if he goes exclusively by Teddy it dosnt really matter.have you thought about using Edward as the first name?it gives you the same option about Teddy, it honors someone and you wouldn't have to worry about the same Ted.

Good luck!!

I agree: I don't think it matters. In almost all circumstances when one would be saying his middle name out loud, one would also be using his formal first name. Teddy Edward would almost never come up. And I don't think the one-nickname-shared-by-two-names things is a big deal since the full names themselves sound so different. I say go for Theodore Edward.

Theodore Edward is a great name, very handsome. I agree with the other posters, it really, really doesn't matter that they have the same nickname. I highly doubt that anyone would notice that.

Good points, thanks everyone! Theodore and Edward have different meanings and are not derivatives of each other, so it should be fine. Theodore Edward is a lot of name next to Cole Matthew, but I think Cole and Teddy go well together.
    Currently wrangling Cole Matthew who is patiently waiting for his baby brother.