Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Floral/astral/gem names. Need help!!!

A friend of mine suggested coming to Name Berry for help. I am "newly" pregnant, and will be keeping the sex a surprise. This is my first! And the circumstances are complicated, but I will be a (young) single mother. So the naming will be completely up to me. I have no family that I would like to honor (oof, that's a little embarrassing to say).

I have a list of middle names that are all set, so please don't suggest middles! I have found that I am very drawn to names that have whimsical meanings, are a flower, are astral themed, gem stones, or "goddess" like (I love the concept of mythology names, but I haven't studied mythology.)

This is my list:

GIRLS:

Celeste
    Mercy (I love this. But what image does it give you? Does it seem religious? Religious names are off limits to me)
    Lua (Meaning the moon. It has special meaning for me, but I feel it too short. What names can have the nickname Lua???)
    Isis
    Aquila (I know its a boy's name, but I can picture it on a girl so perfectly. What do you think??)
    Melanite (It's a garnet)
    Opal
    Marigold
    Wisteria (Love the image. But not sold)
    Gemini (I love this so much, but I think it's too "out there". What do you think??)
    Flora
    Forsythia (not sold yet)
    Keshet (Rainbow in Hebrew)
    Minerva
    Amethyst (This keeps getting taken off my list because it's my mothers birth stone and I don't wish to honor her. But I love it, so it keeps coming back!)
    Tempest (too harsh?)

Please give me your opinion on all these names.
    I'm still figuring out my boy's name list. I will post that another time! Feel free to give me some boy's suggestions based off my girl's list.

THANK YOU

Celeste - Like
    Mercy - does come off as religious, as most faith words do (faith, hope, grace)
    Lua - I prefer Luna
    Isis - I prefer Iris
    Aquila - prefer it on a boy
    Melanite - better as a middle, too much for a first name, what about Melanie?
    Opal - like
    Marigold - like
    Wisteria - it's okay, better in the middle imo
    Gemini - too much for a first name, better in the middle
    Flora - LOVE
    Forsythia - like
    Keshet - not unless you're Jewish and even then you might not want to: http://www.keshetonline.org/
    Minerva - like
    Amethyst - like, but thinks it works better in the middle
    Tempest - yes, too harsh

Some suggestions:
    Stella
    Pearl
    Athena
    Artemis
    Artemisia
    Persephone
    Rose
    Rosalie
    Wren
    Fauna
    Fawn
    Calliope
    Diana
    Selena
    Violet
    Jasmine
    Dahlia
    Ivy
    Aurora
    Briar
    Electra
    Anthea
    Andromeda
    Leonie
    Ruby
    Freya
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Nathaniel

Pinterest | Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Celeste - Love this. Far back in elementary school I had a math teacher named Celeste. She was a bright person.
    Mercy - Religious. Dislike.
    Lua - I think this can stand on it's own. It has a soft sound that I like. You might also like Yua or Yuna/Yuuna?
    Isis - Lovely.
    Aquila - I'd like it on either gender.
    Melanite - Not sold.
    Opal - Cute, but it's not my favorite gem name by far.
    Marigold - Love this name, I say go for it.
    Wisteria - It'd be an interesting floral name. I like it for someone else's child rather than mine.
    Gemini - It's a cool name, but not totally usable in my mind.
    Flora - Sweet name.
    Forsythia - It's all right, but I prefer Forsythe (for a boy)
    Keshet - Reminds me too much of Ke$ha from the sound/spelling.
    Minerva - I like the idea of it, and of possible nickname Minnie, but I can't totally get behind Minerva.
    Amethyst - Coincidentally my (not so close) mother has this birthstone as well. I couldn't get past the association in my life, but it's up to you if you can in yours. Objectively, I think it's a pretty name.
    Tempest - Not too harsh, I just think of strength, as a tempest is a powerful sort of storm. I like the name.
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them

I agree that Mercy is too religious. Gemini is just not usable.
    I am half Jewish, but I'm not sold on Keshet. That website does not bother me. On the other hand, the similarity to Ke$ha bothers me! All in all, I have better options.
    My (not so close) mother wears amethyst a lot, so I don't think I can get past the association either.

Mercy, Gemini and Amethyst is taken off "the list"

All of catloverd's suggestions didn't work for me for various reasons. But thank you!

What about Vespera? (evening star)