Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

38 weeks pregnant and we don't love any names

I'm due in 2 weeks with my first child - gender unknown. My boyfriend and I have agonised over names since I found out, but neither of us can find any that we love. At first, he wasn't interested, so we looked through baby name books and lurked on websites like Nameberry in hope of finding a name that I wanted to use. My top names were Viola and Maximilian for a while, but my boyfriend hates them both. He's never had any favourites and has never really thought about what his favourite names were, so this was a first for him. He says that he doesn't like unisex names or popular names, and he likes classic names. This is what I like too, but so far, we haven't found a single one that we love.

We don't have very good relationships with most of our family (we don't see them very often and I don't get on with most of mine, and my boyfriend has a very small family that he doesn't get on well with) so I don't want to honour any of them. We also really don't like popular names (we live in England), we just want people to find our baby's name interesting. If we went for something really popular, people would think "oh, another one" and I don't want that. I also grew up with a super popular name (it was top 10 for the year I was born) and I hated how almost every other girl had the same name as me.

How do we go about finding a name for this baby? I want to be able to name the baby straight away - I don't want to have a nameless baby for several days.

Just for more ideas of names I like, but I don't love, and my boyfriend doesn't like either:
    - Ari, Ezra, Otto, Simon
    - Alice, June, Lillian, Marlowe
    Last edited by leominor; July 26th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.

Is there something historic you both enjoy? Maybe you like to talk about ancient mythology or admire a historical figure? I had my dh make a list out of the name book and then I went through and crossed off all the ones I didnt like and picked from the ones I did that met my criteria.

I agree with the above poster! But here are some suggestions:

Chester
    Calvin
    Franklin
    Grover
    Elias
    Giles
    Moses
    Murphy

Marilyn
    Ingrid
    Greta
    Constance
    Eleanor
    Erin
    Esther

Quote Originally Posted by hootowl View Post
    Is there something historic you both enjoy? Maybe you like to talk about ancient mythology or admire a historical figure? I had my dh make a list out of the name book and then I went through and crossed off all the ones I didnt like and picked from the ones I did that met my criteria.
    Historic may have been the wrong word. I think I meant more classic/classical/vintage type names? We're not really into history. We looked through name books, but we couldn't find anything that we loved enough to name our child. I'm getting so stressed out about this

A friend of mine had a similar problem. In the end both of them sat down with one of those huge baby name books and wrote down all the names they liked. Then the picked one that was one both their lists.

For me and DH meaning was important, our daughter is named after DH's middle name cos it's a name I love, it had a significant meaning to both of us and I loved the idea of her being named after him but in a none obvious way.
    Last edited by millienow2011; July 26th, 2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Spelling error, oops