Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Alice Jane or Alice Mary?

I felt pressured to pick a name for our perfect new baby in the hospital. I feel incredibly embarrassed and dumb for not understanding that I could have thought about it longer, but it is what it is. So, I decided on Alice Jane. I like the meaning of the names, I like the flow. Since we've been home, the name hasn't felt right. I keep thinking about how I should have used the family name Mary instead. My other children really want to call the baby Allie though, so the Alice has to stay. I can't really change her birth certificate--I can only ammend it, so she will always have Alice as a part of her. So, I have been debating over and over whether I should change her name to include the Mary so I can call her Mary? I have lot of positive associations with the name Mary. Or, should I just keep it as Alice Jane and call her Allie/Alice Jane/Janie and just get over it. I love this sweet baby very much and I worry she would be mad at me for being a lunatic about her name. I have had a hard time with post-partum this time around, but am not feeling so anxious now, so I need to make a decision and move on. It's really expensive to ammend a birth certificate in the state where I live and I'm a little nervous to do it....I'm not sure why. Anyhow, I just want to put this behind me eventually. I think the name I give this little girl is really important--it's going to be a part of her for her whole life.

Anyhow, does anyone have any advice? I am hoping this is a safe place to post where people will be kind.

Bottom line:
    Alice Jane?
    Alice Mary?

I could also do Mary Alice...Does that sound southern? (not a bad thing, just something I'm wondering....)

Our last name sounds like Smithson, so it would be like Mary Alice Smithson or Alice Jane Smithson or Alice Mary Smithson.
    Last edited by ellamarie; July 26th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

I love Alice Jane! I am sorry you are having a hard time with her name. I actually prefer Alice Jane to Alice Mary - the flow is nicer.
    How about giving your sweet little girl a nn that only you can call her, such as Allie Jane? I like Janie a lot, also.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Anna Caroline & Patrick Elliot, Catherine Elise & Jack Donovan, Maeve Josephine & Liam Alexander

First of all congratulations on your little Alice! Alice Jane is lovely, two solid classic names, but Mary has those qualities as well. There is something about the flow of Alice Mary that is so pretty and sweet. I guess what's important is which name you like more and which one by comparison you would be ok with letting go. You can give it some time, I assume, I don't know if there are time limits on amending birth certificates, just follow your intuition and go with your gut. I hope this helped a little. Also, I don't think changing your mind will make your daughter think your a "lunatic", but instead how much you cared about something so important that you bestowed upon her that will be with her the rest of her life. Best wishes to you and your family!

Alice and Mary are two of my favorite names! I love all these different combinations. Alice Jane is lovely and I would leave it. If you want Mary, then Mary Alice is gorgeous as well.

Mary Alice is my 65-year-old neighbor from Virginia, so yes it reads southern to me. But it's lovely too.