Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Practical Magic - Round out my girls' list?

(I apologize in advance for the lengthy post.)

I don't know why boys' names/combos come so easily to me (with the exception of Caspian) and girls' names are such a struggle. I'd really love to have a solid top five for each gender, but my girls' list is kind of a mess. I'm solid on Alice Willow and Lucia Pearl. I'm wavering between Ophelia Fawn and Ophelia Wren. And my Evie ideas are all over the place, although the current front-runner is Evelyn. I haven't even begun to tackle the Evie middles yet.

Actually, I do know why girls' names are so hard for me! My personal style, especially for girls, is so fantastical, ethereal, whimsical, over-the-top – the Magic. My husband's style is more conservative. He insists that he doesn't want a "normal" name, just something that he considers usable on an actual child. He says he likes most of my GP names in theory but they're too much in reality – the Practical. Trying to marry the two styles and find that perfect balance – the Practical Magic – is what gets my feathers all ruffled. I just can't seem to rein myself in and be content with the results!

What I need is that perfect number five, something I can just say YES to. Something that evokes the magical imagery that makes me happy, and strikes the familiar chord that satisfies my hubby. Something that works with Alice, Lucia, Ophelia and Evie (Evelyn?).

I've considered the following options, but none are just screaming I'M THE ONE:

Clara
    --Pros: magical, wintery, crisp…immediately makes me think of the Nutcracker, thus ballet and Christmas
    --Cons: Clarabelle Cow And would definitely be a winter baby only name for me.

Juliet
    --Pros: romantic, fits in the sibset…brings to mind Shakespeare and the Emilie Autumn song
    --Cons: I loathe the name Julie, partly because I knew a really petty bitchy girl by that name. If light, delicate Juliet got shortened to Julie, I would die.

Freya
    --Pros: one of the few goddess names that is short (which my husband likes), simple, and intuitively pronounced, while still conveying regalia and power…I see wolves and snow and piercing grey eyes
    --Cons: for some reason, I don't think she fits in the sibset for me. Lucy and Freya? Alice and Freya? Freya and Evie? I just can't see it :-|

Elowen
    --Pros: feels elven and ethereal, love the nature meaning, my husband actually likes it!
    --Cons: I just haven't fallen for it the way I want to…considered Elowen V--- as a way to get to Evie, but it just didn't take. And I'm not sure I want two E names back to back.

As you can see, I'm in a rut. Help! Give me all the practically magical suggestions you can think of, tell me what names fit with the other firsts in my sibset, sell me on one of my lukewarm options….something. @_@

Thank you for being good enough to read all this! Berries are the best. <3
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

I think yes to Freya, on the grounds that I think it fits fine in all the combinations you suggest, thus negating your con ;-)

Also I don't think Juliet would get shortened to Julie; I think the two names are seen as quite distinct.

I actually really love Freya with Ophelia, Lucia, and Alice. I think it goes beautifully. I also quite like Soraya with your other names.

How about:

Isadora
    Thalia -- thay-lee-ah
    Phaedra
    Avalon
    Calypso
    Cliona
    Edda -- eh-dah
    Epona
    Etain
    Fauna
    Morna
    Rosana
    Silvia/Sylvia
    Sylvana/Silvana
    Una
    Zenobia

As for Evie names that I think could fit:

Doveva
    Edeva
    Evadne -- ee-vahd-nee
    Evanthe -- ee-vahn-thee
    Evetta
    Geneva
    Genevieve
    Vevina

Are any of those magical? ^_^
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I actually quite like Freya with Alice

Elowen is on my list as well. It's magical, its whimsical, its usable, its wearable, and she will be the only Elowen in her class. Everything i love in a name. I know you arent completely sold on it, but I think Elowen V is an interesting way to get to Evie and I like it.

Other names you might like-
    Luna
    Evangeline
    Lyra
    Phoebe
    Beatrix
    Avonlea
    Aurora
    Flora
    Indira
    Araminta
    Arwen
    Fiona
    Rowena
    Odessa
    Anastasia
    Cornelia
    Athena
    Waverly
    Penelope

I realize a lot of these may not be your taste, but I hope at least one sticks out to you. If you're stuck on Evelyn, what about Evelyn Faye? I think thats Practical Magic
    |Penelope Winter Rose | Alexander Gideon Delayne | Luna Aurora Belle | William Owen Emrys | Liliana Tallulah Grace | Micah Isaac James | Dahlia Winter Carys | Elijah Samuel Leon | Coraline Lavinia Jane | Jasper Everett Greer | Gianna Francesca Maryse | August River Jordan | Magnolia Gwyneira Hesper | Silas John Paul | Anastasia Beatrix Pearl | Leland Samuel Delayne | Artemis Elektra Victoria | Lachlan Isaiah Rhys | Arcadia Callista Maeve|