Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Opinions? Thoughts?

So recently I just fell in love with the story of Esther from the Bible. I love that it tells the story of a women who takes action and is a story of a strong female.

Couple of questions regard the name though? Does Esther sound more like a Jewish name, since her story is the history bhind a Jewish holiday?

Does Esther sound too dated? Is Estée better/worse?

What about nicknames? I like Etty, Ettie, Etta and Essie. Do you have a fav?

There are a lot of Christians named Esther that I know. They don't use a nickname. Another version is Aster, which I think is lovely, especially if you like floral or nature names.

I love Esther -- it's my first daughter's middle name and would have been my second daughter's first name if we hadn't already used it as a middle! My husband's grandma was Esther and she was Christian, so I don't think of it as a Jewish name, just a Biblical name.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

Oh, also, I like it SO MUCH better than Estee. And for nicknames, I think Essie is cute!
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

Great story, but unfortunate name. In any case, Biblical names are fine for Jewish/Christian and literary folks alike. Aster (Astor?) is pretty, but Etta might be my favorite form--I like any name that can be connected to a blues/jazz singer.