Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mckaylalove View Post
    My god, I love your naming style. My favourites from your list are:

Ivo Nicholas (I like it better with James)
    Asa Nicholas (Again, like it better with James)
    Theodore James "Teddy"
    Atticus John
    Zevon James
    Finch Nicholas
    Peregrine James
    Wyeth James
    Sparrow John (I like this better with James too).
    Thanks! Do you think people will have trouble pronouncing Wyeth? It is pretty high on my list (we both love the artists Andrew and (son) Jamie Wyeth).

Thackeray John - I love Thackeray, it was on our list until DH nixed it.
    Barnaby James - Barnaby was also on our list but we've opted for Barnabas instead. Still love this version though.
    Jolyon Nicholas - I love the name Jolyon and it is so rarely used.
    Wyeth James - This would work very well over time and still is unique. This is actually my favorite of your list.
    Peregrine James - I LOVE Pip as a nn
    Mother of Gabriel Christian and Emrys Atticus.

The ones that got away:
    Felicity, Anne, Iantha, Penelope, Elowen
    Walter, Sebastian, Edmund, Arthur, Fredrick

Ivo Nicholas- I think this would be a little too unfamiliar for Americans, and it's a bit of a tongue-twister with your last name.
    Toussaint James- While I usually think pronunciation problems are often overblown, this one would would just cause undue hardship on your son with its spelling and pronunciation issues.
    Reed Nicholas- I like it, but not in love with it.
    Aubyn James- Is it prn. Aw-ben or Oh-ben? You're already honoring family in the middle, do you need to do it twice?
    Cabot James- Like.
    Asa Nicholas-I like it! Asa is becoming more familiar, I think, but it's still a rare, sophisticated choice.
    Barnaby James- Like this combination, even though I'm not usually a fan of Barnaby.
    Theodore James "Teddy" - This is the tamest name on your list. I like it, but prefer the nn Theo.
    Atticus John- Love!
    Bertram John- NMS.
    Tristram James- Lovely.
    Zevon James (rhymes with Devon) - Sounds made up to me, and I know it's not.
    Finch Nicholas - I see what you're going for, but I don't know if I'd like to go through life with "Finch" as my name. It'd be better in the middle spot (two middles?).
    Tennyson James "Ten" or "Tenny"- Love!
    Thackeray John (rhymes with Zachary)- Love! Even people who aren't familiar with him would be able to pronounce it, it's pretty intuitive, and it's not too far off from names people are already familiar with.
    Jolyon Nicholas (JOLE-ion)- Meh. It would take some explaining every time you introduced him, or when he was older, he introduced himself, since it's not a very familiar character.
    Ambrose John- Love! Ambrose James might be a better combo though? I like the look of the S's.
    Peregrine James (We might use Pip as a nn even though it's a bit too LOTRish...but it is actually from Angela Carter's last novel, Wise Children, my dh's favorite) - I'm not a fan of Peregrine; personally, I find it a little formal. But it's definitely usable.
    Orlando James "Orly"- Love!
    Worthy James (family name)- My first thought was that it was so Puritan!
    Tarquin James- Usable, but NMS.
    Copeland James (family name)- I actually quite like this.
    Pryor James- Meh. You've got better on your list.
    Tavish John- You've got better.
    Fenwick James "Fen" (family name)- I like it, but mostly for the nickname.
    Hawthorne/Hawthorn James (I like it without the E, dh likes it with)- I like it lot!
    Macabee James (family name)- Not a fan.
    Banyan James- I think of the trees.
    Wyeth James- I think he would constantly be explaining that it's Wyeth and not Wyatt, and be spelling it out for people. Might be confusing.
    Sparrow John- Too starbaby.
    Rushdie James- Meh.

My favorites:
    Asa Nicholas
    Atticus John (or James)
    Tennyson James
    Thackeray John
    Ambrose James
    Orlando James
    Hawthorne James
    Theodore James
    - current loves -
    Harriet - Flora - Violet - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Milo - Frederick - Dashiell - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theo - Harrison - Jack

Ivo Nicholas (EYE-vo) -- I worry about pronunciantion
    Toussaint James (pronounced like Tucson) -- ditto, but looks very cool on paper
    Reed Nicholas -- a perfectly good more mainstream choice
    Aubyn James (family name) -- Odd-looking
    Cabot James -- I think I like it.
    Asa Nicholas -- Ass-a so no.
    Barnaby James -- dislike Barnaby, sounds like a cartoon character
    Theodore James "Teddy" -- Like this historic name
    Atticus John -- Okay
    Bertram John -- Don't like but don't have a good reason for not liking. Maybe I just hate B names.
    Tristram James -- I really dislike Tristan (on a boy) because it sounds too girly to me, and this looks too much like Tristan.
    Zevon James (rhymes with Devon) -- Interesting. Again, pronunciation issues.
    Finch Nicholas - Don't hate it, but don't like it either. Makes me think of birds.
    Tennyson James "Ten" or "Tenny" -- meh
    Thackeray John (rhymes with Zachary) -- No, sounds like a way to make fun of someone with a lisp
    Jolyon Nicholas (JOLE-ion) -- Just sounds odd
    Ambrose John -- Not a fan, just so perfumey-sounding
    Peregrine James (We might use Pip as a nn even though it's a bit too LOTRish...but it is actually from Angela Carter's last novel, Wise Children, my dh's favorite) -- Well I love LOTR so how could I say no? But I wouldn't use it on my own child, either.
    Orlando James "Orly"-- Bad association with literally nutty professor with this name. His nickname was Lanny. Ich jerk.
    Worthy James (family name) -- A little over the top
    Tarquin James -- I think I like it
    Copeland James (family name) - I like it, it's nice that it doesn't end with "n" which is so trendy for boys
    Pryor James -- The Crucible? That is cool. DDL is such a hottie in the movie version...*swoon*
    Tavish John -- I really like this one.
    Fenwick James "Fen" (family name) -- Not a fan of the "wick" ending, so harsh
    Hawthorne/Hawthorn James (I like it without the E, dh likes it with)--This is pretty neat as well, I prefer it with the e written down, Nathaniel Hawthorne wouldn't have immediately come to mind otherwise
    Macabee James (family name) -- You have so many neat options that I wouldn't mess with this one and worry about whether people are offended
    Banyan James -- No, don't like the y especially if it is a boy.
    Wyeth James -- ok
    Sparrow John -- A little odd, not my style, but not a terrible nature name either
    Rushdie James -- Looks sort of odd, makes me think of Rush Limbaugh which is a negative association imo.

PA, USA
    Reed Nicholas (love this combo)
    Cabot James
    Theodore James (although nn Theo would be a little more modern)
    Atticus John
    Tennyson James (LOVE the idea of nn Ten)
    Ambrose John (fresh, yet still sounds classic)
    Hawthorne/Hawthorn James

Least Favorites:
    Toussaint James (setting yourself up for a lifetime of misspelling/mispronunciation)
    Aubyn James (looks somewhat feminine due to the "y")
    Tristram James (I keep seeing this as a misspelling of Tristan)
    Zevon James (sounds invented)
    Jolyon Nicholas (ditto)