Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Holden Young?

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    I've never heard the expression "holding young" before. Holden has always sounded silly to me anyway though. I always hear "holdin'."
    I agree with southern.maple.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I'm confused...you're turning 55 years old and you're expecting a child?
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    I've never heard the expression "holding young" before. Holden has always sounded silly to me anyway though. I always hear "holdin'."
    This is my problem with Holden, along with "braidin'", "casin'", "brandin'" et al. With a word surname like Young, I would definitely stay away from first names that sound like truncated gerunds.

Holden is still on the potential name list for our son due in September. Thank you flaunt for giving the sound of the name a name: gerund! Yes, I think I want to stay away from those and nouns really. Young is so common and yet I feel our choices for first and middle names are so limited.

I guess I really don't see it as a big deal and wouldn't kick Holden off your list for this reason.

That said, if it bugs you, maybe use Holden in the middle? I think Young works best with a three syllable first name:

Benjamin Young
    Everett Young
    Julian Young
    Nathaniel Young
    Oliver Young
    Rafferty Young
    Theodore Young

With a two syllable middle?
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude