Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    How about Sophia and whatever her middle name is? Phia, Phi, Sia, Pia could all work as nicknames And my mother did the exact same thing when it came to naming me, she named me Katherine(I go by Katie) and didn't bother to do any research on it so she figured it was a uncommon name. She was absoulutely shocked when I started Kindergarten and there were 5 other Katherines and 4 of them went by Katie/Kate!
    Just a 15 year old name lover.

Girls: Maren, Daphne, Thea, Dahlia, Marina, Maribel, Ivy, Scarlett, Rosalie, Serena and Marilyn

Boys: Theodore, Rocco, Maverick, Brooks, Jude, Ronan, Fabian, Callum, Harvey, Griffin and Vaughn

Fia really lovely! And it is an intuitive nickname for Sophia so it shouldn't be too hard to make it stick or be confusing for your daughter. It works as a stand-alone name too so you or your daughter could introduce her as Fia and it would sound like a proper name, unlike a more cutesy nn like Fifi. Sosie is lovely too but would probably be misheard as Sophie all the time which would be really annoying.
    ~ Mama to Juniper Elise and Arlo Edward James ~

Susannah - Celeste- Maybelle - Pearl - Callie - Eulalie - Clementine
    Another daughter: Callie Susannah Pearl

Asa - Tate - Rudy - Otis - Henry - Miles - Josiah
    Another son: Tate Henry Miles

I would really think long and hard about giving her a formal nickname. It sounds like she truly loves her name (which is rare!) and for you to decide NOW that she's essentially going to go by a new one - I mean, you said you want a nickname that even her teachers will use - seems a smidge unfair. It's her name now - not yours. And you picked a lovely name that will serve her well throughout the years. Sure, there are 6 girls with the same name in her class at the moment, but in high school she might only know 1 or 2 Sophias. I would just leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by namenerdia View Post
    I would really think long and hard about giving her a formal nickname. It sounds like she truly loves her name (which is rare!) and for you to decide NOW that she's essentially going to go by a new one - I mean, you said you want a nickname that even her teachers will use - seems a smidge unfair. It's her name now - not yours. And you picked a lovely name that will serve her well throughout the years. Sure, there are 6 girls with the same name in her class at the moment, but in high school she might only know 1 or 2 Sophias. I would just leave it be.
    I completely agree with this.
    Sincerely, Jennifer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Momma to one little princess, Finley Makiya (7.27.13)

"Titi" (aunt) to Emily-Marie Gloria and Nicholas Alexander

I love irrelevant nicknames. My friend growing up always when by Birdie even though her really name was Emiliy (another of those traps with popular names). Birdie was irrelevant, but more of an affectionate name for her. Maybe there something you call Sophia already? My mom always called me "lady" around the house. It never left the house, but I still loved it.

Also, what month was she born in? You could try and pull off calling her by the month she was born in? (June, May/Mae, April, even March?)

She could always just go by Soph (without the ia at the end)?

If none of these work, just embrace the name! You gave it to her for a reason, you liked it, so dont let other people make you change it!