Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Maybe a good nickname could salvage the situation??? Help please!

Ok, I have a confession: I'm one of the 50 bazillion moms who named her daughter (ahem)... Sophia. Yes, I'm one of THOSE. Now before you judge me, let me just say that I had absolutely no idea that everyone on the freaking planet was choosing the exact same name at the exact same time. I had never really given much thought to what I might name my future children. Truth is, I wasn't entirely sure that I wanted to have kids at all. So when I found myself pregnant with my first child three years ago, I was totally clueless about things like naming trends, ssa name lists, websites like nameberry, etc. Turns out, my husband and I had very different taste in names and we were having a hard time agreeing; Sophia was the first name we both liked. Sophia had been my great-grandmother's name, and I had always thought it was lovely, plus I liked the fact that it's meaning is "wisdom". I thought it was classic and beautiful, and a little bit old-fashioned (or so I thought!) which suited my retro-loving style. The international appeal was an additional bonus, since my hubby and I travel a lot and have spent many years living in various parts of the world. It seemed like the perfect choice for us. We named her Sophia and never gave it another thought.

Very shortly after Sophia was born, we moved to the Netherlands where the name was familiar (there was a dutch Queen Sophie in the 1800's) but not overly popular. In the 3 years we lived there, we only encountered one or two other Sophies and not a single Sophia. We frequently received compliments on her beautiful name. We were happy with our choice. And THEN....

We recently moved back to the US, and I was shocked and horrified to discover that my daughter was one of 6 (yes 6!) girls named Sophia/Sofia/Sophie in her preschool. Oh. My. God. Are you freaking kidding me??? I was disgusted to find out how ridiculously overdone the name has become here. So now what do I do? My daughter is old enough that we are way past the point of considering a formal name change. In fact, she loves her name and identifies strongly with it. Which is great, but...

So I'm wondering if maybe it might be time to sneak a good nickname in there. Nothing too cutesy, I'm looking for something that we could reasonably expect teachers to call her (we frequently use the nn "doodlebug" around the house, but that ain't gonna work for the rest of the world!). I still love the name, but I don't want her to go through school as Sophia A. My name is Amy, and I was born during the peak of that name's popularity. There were always an absurd number of other girls with the same name in my classes, and I hated that. Eventually the name fell out of fashion again, and these days I don't actually meet that many other Amys too often (when I do, she's invariably about the same age as me!). I'm hoping the same might happen with Sophia, but in the meantime... any suggestions for a pretty nickname substitute?

What is her middle name? People on here have made some suggestions about getting to nicknames using sounds from the first and middle combined - like Hazel Belle being called Zibby.
    Another idea - at 3 I doubt you can just start using her middle, but how about calling her both together like a double name. That could possibly transition to using the middle or at least she would be Sophia-____ instead of Sophia LastInitial. And that way she gets to still use Sophia, which is all of the things you described! It is beautiful, classic and she loves it (as she should)!

My 16 year old is Savanna. When she was born we lived in the northeast of the US. I thought of Savanna as the savanna, tall grasses, lions, wild but peaceful. She was the only Savanna we knew. Then we moved down south and now she is one of 2 Savanna G's and she hates it, so I totally understand. But truly, Sophia is gorgeous!
    Luckiest woman in the world!

Mom to Logan Hunter, Savanna Nichole, Avonlea Noel and Arden "Birdie" Mae

Step-mom to Austin Ray, Haley Caroline, Kelsey Suzanne

and expecting someone else December 19!

Her full name is Sophia Grace. No, I don't watch the show "Ellen" and was not aware of THAT Sophia Grace. Apparently I completely lack any semblance of originality! Sigh.

Ha! This is funny (sorry not really, but kind of). I have a Sophia Grace as well. However, I was well aware of the popularity, and do not/did not care because I love Sophia SO much. And my first name is Chandra (pronounced SHannon except "dra at the end). I've spent my entire life wishing I just had a more common name so people could pronounce it. I've met and been friends with a couple other "Chandra's" and they all pronounce differently. People don't even try sometimes. I've been called Kendra, Cassandra, Sandra, Chaundra, Sarah...... Blah. Anywho, to your nicknames, what about "Fia?" I love it and sometimes I will call her that, but typically it's Sophie or Sophia.

How about Sophie + middle name. Like Sophie-Ann, Sophie-Kate, Sophie-Beth, etc, so drop that "a' at the end, and do a double barrel with the middle.

Nicknames: Fia, Fi (prn "fee")

For what it's worth, a lot of people picked Sophia/Sophie because it's an absolutely gorgeous name. As your daughter ages, I imagine it will feel less popular, because as your kids age, the "pool" gets more diluted, as other children are born, with a different trend of names. For example, I am an 80s baby, I knew TONS of Courtneys in my youth. Now, I only know one.

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey