Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question When You're Sure Your Done Having Kids...

Would you have your tubes tied, or let your partner get the snip? I ask because we are 99.9999% certain Daisy will be our last child. We only ever wanted two children and while we really wanted to experience having a son, we wouldn't have another child just to try for a boy. We're happy with our little family and the only possibility of a 3rd child would be if I had an unplanned pregnancy.

Birth control doesn't really agree with me. My husband and I are considering either him getting the snip or me getting my tubes tied. Not sure which yet. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

We're both in our mid twenties so my doctor has advised against it in case either of us decide we want more kids in the future. Our daughter Amelie is 4 and Daisy was born in June.

Has anyone young-ish here gotten it done? Just looking for some thoughts and opinions as its a big decision. Thanks in advance.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

I don't fit your criteria about being youngish BUT I had my tubes tied directly after my second child was born by caesarian section. I was 33 yo. I had had some complications with both pregnancies but I would have made the same decision even if I had had no problems as I didn't want any more children.
    Psalm 23

When we're done having kids, most likely my husband will be getting sniped as I've heard it's much safer and easier then me getting my tubes tied.

No kids yet, but I will never get my tubes tied and it's my husband's decision if he wants to get a vasectomy. I'm actually urging him not to even consider it because I hear/read that it could go horribly wrong. Some men are known to have long lasting pain.

Both are risky and I just don't feel it's worth the risk. It's just "unnatural" and what's the point if eventually you're going to through menopause anyway?

However, my mom had her tubes tied right after my sister was born, it's usually the best and easiest time. Their insurance covered it and she was 33/34 at the time, so the doctors didn't mention anything about it, plus most people usually only want 2 kids. So far she has had no complications due to having her tubes tied. And I'm sure many don't, but I'm not willing to take the risk. You can get infection or if you do happen to get pregnant, then that's a very risky situation.

As for birth control, condoms are always an option as well if pills aren't your thing, as well as NFP.

Another thing to think about is the possibility of divorce. Not to say you will, but just pointing it out because it does happen to some people and if wanting to remarry later on and have kids with that person, well it's tricky to revert tubes being tied and might be impossible to reverse a vasectomy.

BUT this is all just my opinion and in the end, you have to make the decision. I'd definitely do research though on tube tying and vasectomies.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    Another thing to think about is the possibility of divorce. Not to say you will, but just pointing it out because it does happen to some people and if wanting to remarry later on and have kids with that person, well it's tricky to revert tubes being tied and might be impossible to reverse a vasectomy.
    Actually, reversing a vasectomy is easier then having your tubes "untied". The success rate mostly depends on how long it's been since a man had the initial vasectomy done. According to WEB MD, if done within 10 years of having a vasectomy, a man has a 50% chance of being able to get a woman pregnant.

*EDIT*
    I missed the part in your initial post where you said you and your husband were in your mid-twenties. I would advise waiting until you were in your thirties until you got anything done, just to be sure. My husband and I figure that we'll wait 2-5 years after our last chid is born, just to be sure that we're really done. Also, if the pill makes you sick, there are plenty of other methods of birth control available these days (shots, patches, etc). I would talk with your doctor about what your options are. It might just be that you've been taking a pill with the wrong dosage for you and maybe all you need to do is switch the brand or take a lower dosage.
    Last edited by pansy; July 11th, 2013 at 07:41 PM.