Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

Mafia and "Beauty and the Beast" names

As part of a series of retellings, I'm currently reinventing Beauty and the Beast in which Beauty's father is a conman and the Beast is the youngest son of a mafia family. The six siblings, as stated in the original story, of Beauty are mostly from different mothers.

Beauty, in my version, is quiet, sensitive and odd. She's got her head in the clouds, loves reading, gardening and music, and is socially awkward but overall very sweet. But she's still very opinionated, and is quick to rebel if she thinks something isn't right. She has very wild, curly light brown hair, and light green eyes. She lives with her younger sister, who is also very quiet and pensive. Originally, her name was Laurel and the younger sister's Lavender, but I think Laurel is a little too domicile, too plain for her. What do you think? Keep Laurel or change it? If so, what to?
    Her other siblings are Willa, Clementine, Jesse, Nigel (though I might change this one), and Cassius (prn. CASS-ee-us). Her father is William Float, and her mother Lilah, perhaps short for Delilah (she ends being traitorous, so I thought it suit her).

The Beast is called Samael, nn Sam, as of now, after the conflicted, not-good-not-evil angel of Talmudic origin. But I'm wondering, since the other names in the adaption are mostly normal or at least familiar, that Samael's a bit too "out there." I just don't know what to change it to because it fits him so well. He too is conflicted, struggling between his moral conscience and his desire to impress his family, namely his mother, Ekaterina. His family's last name is temporarily Smirnov. It's an alias, and I think it works well because it's a very common Russian last name, and means "peaceful," sort of ironic. Sam is tall, has longish dark brown hair, light brown eyes, and a gash across his face. Again, change Samael or leave it, and what to change it to? Would it bother you that the name is unfamiliar if you don't know its origins?