Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_anton_yelchin1990 View Post
    It wouldnt bother me at all. Even though Ezra is a biblical name...for all I know you could have named him after a family member or after a character in a book/movie. I wouldnt necessarily assume you're christian.

I dont think its any different from someone choosing an Italian name when they have no Italian heritage. If you like the name then use it.
    I completely agree with this. Some people may assume you're religious if their only experience with that name is from the bible, but so what? It certainly shouldn't matter to anyone whether you chose the name Ezra from the bible, as a nod to Ezra Pound, to honor your great-great-grandfather John Ezra, or just because you like the teacher from Pretty Little Liars. Use the names that You love. =]
    Dominic James~ (5)

Gabriel : Jude : Ramsay : Roland

I agree with the poster above -- as an atheist, I believe the Bible is just another book (albeit one that's had undue influence over Western society). The reason Biblical names are in the mainstream name pool is because we live in a culture dominated by Christianity. I like the idea of secularizing these names as an act of rebellion! :P
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by livia View Post
    Okay, so I love a lot of Biblical names, especially the slightly-less-mainstream ones (like Abram and Ezra). However, I'm an atheist and I feel like it would be odd to use names like that because most people know the more obscure ones solely as Biblical characters...as opposed to names like Samuel and Jacob which are very familiar to most people, theists and non-theists alike, and have a wider history of use separate from Christianity. I tend to avoid making combos like Ezra Malachi (for example) because I almost feel like it would be disrespectful of me if I named a child of mine something similar and then was like, "Oh, yeah, but I'm an atheist."

Thoughts?
    As a Christian (Southern Baptist) myself, I would not be offended. However, I would assume that your family was Christian judging by the name.

ETA: As a previous poster stated, it may be a bit odd. But if it does;t bother you, go for it.
    Sincerely, Jennifer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Momma to one little princess, Finley Makiya (7.27.13)

"Titi" (aunt) to Emily-Marie Gloria and Nicholas Alexander

Also -- I'm shocked to see so many people claiming they would assume a person is Christian if they used these names. Seriously? I actually know two Ezras, neither of them from Christian families. I know non-Christian Marys and Christian/Christinas. And my friend Abram is a secular Jew. Honestly, it seems like people tend to assume others share their beliefs for very little reason -- and that's their problem, not yours.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

As Christianity's cultural aspects have been aggressively imposed on most of the world, I don't think you have to worry about a biblical name coming across as automatically religious, and in the same vein, I don't think any Christian gets to complain. It's not appropriation if it's been forced into your culture for centuries. Malachi might get some eyebrows. A name like Levi, some people might assume you're religious. But Ezra, I would think Jewish (and not necessarily religious) first. Other more mainstream biblical names (Abram, Asher), I don't think anyone would even bat an eye. I just wouldn't worry about it. If you love it, that's all that matters.