Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Dude, calm down. Do what you want, even the less common names are still in fairly heavy circulation...
    Additionally there aren't many strictly atheist names to choose from ;-) and those that are will likely be from different languages/cultures.
    I am neither Greek nor Christian but no one would bat an eyelid if I called a daughter Sophia (except people who knew me).

*I know a couple of secular Miriams, I suppose it depends on your background, it's been quite a popular mainstream name in some European countries I think?

I'm an atheist yet I have a Mary, which while not obscure is a name that is really closely associated with Christianity especially Catholicism especially when you add her brother Patrick to the mix. I'm sure a lot of people will assume you're religious and if you're the type of person who would be offended or want to shout it from the rooftops that you're an atheist then perhaps you may want to choose a non-biblical name. But if you're the type who is fine with people making assumptions and won't feel the need to explain to everyone you meet that little Ezra's name wasn't chosen for religious reasons then I think you'll be fine.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

Apart from religion, the Bible is still literature...Saying an atheist can't name her son Noah is like saying a grocer can't name his son Atticus (because a grocer isn't a lawyer).

Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    Apart from religion, the Bible is still literature...Saying an atheist can't name her son Noah is like saying a grocer can't name his son Atticus (because a grocer isn't a lawyer).
    Um, what? They're not comparable at all.

I'm not offended when non-religious use biblical names but it does bother me, especially when the names are uncommon (so not Elizabeth, Peter, etc.).
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I'm an atheist as well, and I specifically wouldn't use a name closely tied to the Bible in the same way I wouldn't use one tied to any other religion. I agree there are common "biblical" names that aren't really associated with religion anymore, like John and Elizabeth, but I'm not gonna use Ezekiel or Levi, even though otherwise I might like those names. Especially Levi. My SO (also atheist) mentioned he liked Gideon, and we ultimately agreed that it was too biblical as well.

I don't know, it just seems a little inconsistent to me. And I think people will make assumptions, just because people are judgmental and think they have the right to. But any *real* name with a normal spelling is ok with me and should be with anyone else.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin