Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile New here....loving the name Saoirse....

and I'm having a difficult time moving beyond it. I understand it's tricky to pronounce for most, and of course I don't want to saddle my future daughter with a name she may resent, but I love the way it sounds and looks. Celtic names are important to us, and I'd like to get opinions.

Thoughts? And thanks!

Lisa

I agree it's a stunning name, but if you don't live in Ireland, I fear it's a hopeless battle. I just can't imagine explaining to a kindergartner who is learning the alphabet why their name is pronounced nothing like its spelled. I think it would fare best in either the middle or just in our dreams for those of us in the US or other Celtic deficient places. But don't lose hope! There are many other lovely Irish names.
    ~ Larissa

Amaryllis Joy
    Savannah Mayfair ~ Bellamy June
    Isla Reverie ~ Holiday Elise ~ Cordelia Maple
    Sage Aurora ~ Madeline Story ~ Laszlo Oliver ~ Darwin Blake
    Gideon Levi ~ Fisher Gray ~ Jasper Elias
    Simon Apollo ~ Orlando Archer
    Phineas Jack

Crushing hard... Saylor Adeline ... Siri Genevieve ... Penrose Elizabeth

Welcome to Nameberry!

If you love it that much, you should use it! It will be very difficult for people to spell and pronounce, but if you absolutely love the name and can't find anything that comes close you may regret not using it. I'd encourage you to look for other names, but if you keep coming back to Saoirse it may be the one. There's a lot to love about Saoirse- the interesting but accessible sound, the beautiful meaning, the strong tie to heritage- so I'd encourage you to identify what exactly it is about Saoirse that you like and find names that have that same quality.

Another option is to use Saoirse as a middle with a less confusing first name. That way, your daughter can be "Firstname" if she finds it easier, but you still have the option of calling her Saoirse. I don't usually recommend that approach because it can be confusing to go by your middle name, but in cases like this with a name that can be so problematic, it can be a really good option.

Best of luck!

I just finished my school career, and I have known two Deirdre's, Sinead, and a Saoirse. It maybe hard for kids maybe for a little while, but kids grow up to be bigger kids and I think you should name your daughter Saoirse if you want! It's very pretty, and even though it might not be a common name, it's certainly a common enough known name, and others who don't know it will just learn it by your example.

Quote Originally Posted by larkub101 View Post
    I agree it's a stunning name, but if you don't live in Ireland, I fear it's a hopeless battle. I just can't imagine explaining to a kindergartner who is learning the alphabet why their name is pronounced nothing like its spelled. I think it would fare best in either the middle or just in our dreams for those of us in the US or other Celtic deficient places. But don't lose hope! There are many other lovely Irish names.
    For some reason, that made me laugh, thanks!

Saoirse is a lovely name but I'd suggest using it as a middle name or finding one with an Anglicized spelling, such as Caoimhe (Keeva).
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly