Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Being an Yvonne, I think his thoughts on "Y" not being a real vowel are pretty shallow. He's got some good advice mixed in with stupid assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by yw2 View Post
    Being an Yvonne, I think his thoughts on "Y" not being a real vowel are pretty shallow. He's got some good advice mixed in with stupid assumptions.
    But he's right. People are using Y in place of other vowels and it doesn't make sense phonetically. In the English language I can't think of a single time a Y would make an O, A, or U sound in a word, so I don't know why people substitute Y for those vowels. Even when it's in place of something like an I where it could make phonetic sense I still cringe. Seriously, Jessyca? Would you support that name choice without suggesting a change in spelling?

Yvonne is a lovely, legitimate name that is spelled with a Y traditionally. He's not insulting EVERY name that contains a Y, he's just pointing out that Americans are totally abusing this letter in names that aren't traditionally spelled that way, for the sake of "uniqueness".

Personally I thought the article was hilarious and rang pretty true, although being as tongue-in-cheek as it was I'm sure it'll offend people.
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Leona · Vivian · Florence · Beatrix · Zelda
    August · Barnaby · Winston · Atlas · Milo

He isn't saying y-names are bad, he's saying putting a y where it makes no logical since to be is annoying. Like changing Kendall to Kyndyll and expecting people to pronounce it the same is ignoring the rules of English.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

I think it's mostly spot-on. I have to agree with pp about Twilight names, though. Although I'm not a Twilight fan, Rosalie, Jasper, Alice, and Emmett are all pretty great names.

Quote Originally Posted by elisabeth rae View Post
    I think it's mostly spot-on. I have to agree with pp about Twilight names, though. Although I'm not a Twilight fan, Rosalie, Jasper, Alice, and Emmett are all pretty great names.
    I agree that they are legitimate name, but the article specifically said naming your kids after Twilight characters was a dreadful idea.

And he's right. Please don't name your child after a fictional, emotional, weak, obsessive teenage girl, or a fictional, sparkling, obsessive stalker. THAT is ridiculous. Not the names.

And his main point about Y is "It's not some kind of all-purpose MEGAVOWEL that can be readily substituted for the real ones just because you think it looks cooler." And that made me smile. I'm probably stealing that and using it on every single one of my friends when they get pregnant.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.