Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rhyming names...ok or no good??

I love names that end in a "y" or "ie" but our last name ends in a "y" (morrissey). Do you think it's too cheesy or sing-songy to have both first and last names end in a "y"? An example would be: Colby Morrissey. Middle name will be Potter (family name). I don't want him to be teased when he's older either.

What do you guys think?

Both my husband and my names both end in y and so does our surname. It does have a bit of sing-song quality about it, but it doesn't bother me, it's actually really fun to say. Mine even has another repeated letter within the name so it's even more pronounced.

Colby Morrissey isn't bad at all, it's not like "Hennessy Morrissey" . It's really hard to avoid that -y sound since many nicknames have it as well, so I wouldn't stress.
    If you love the name, then use it.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Personally, I don't like matchy sounds in first names and surnames but it's really a matter of taste. I dislike "ee" sounds because sometimes the two names together sound cutesy. Cole Morrissey would sound so much better than Colby Morrrissy in my opinion. I also don't find names ending in "n" very appealing (eg. Aidan Johnson). But again, it's a matter of opinion. If it doesn't bother you and you love the name, then go for it!
    Last edited by mischa; July 23rd, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Normally, I don't like matchy names, but Colby Morrissey really isn't that bad AT ALL! I would go for it

We're having the problem that our middle son's nickname is Huck and we've fallen in love with the name Chuck for this baby... definitely a no-no in my book!
    Francis Grover
    Henry Linus
    Philip Judah
    Charles Florian 8/1/13

[Frankie, Huck, Flip & Chaz]

Other favorites...
    Sylvia Maeve (Sylvie), Louisa, Elisa
    George, Timothy (Otter), Winston, August (Gus)

Quote Originally Posted by morrisseyphoto View Post
    I love names that end in a "y" or "ie" but our last name ends in a "y" (morrissey). Do you think it's too cheesy or sing-songy to have both first and last names end in a "y"? An example would be: Colby Morrissey. Middle name will be Potter (family name). I don't want him to be teased when he's older either.

What do you guys think?
    I think the rhyming is fine, in this case.
    Sincerely, Jennifer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Momma to one little princess, Finley Makiya (7.27.13)

"Titi" (aunt) to Emily-Marie Gloria and Nicholas Alexander