Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I love it! It is so unique and culturally glorious. I think most kids would envy him especially with how culturally supported and important names are in this day. I say go for it and teach your son to really love his name. What a wonderful legacy!

The only time I've come across the name French was many years ago. I used to watch a show called "3rd Rock From the Sun" and there was an actor called French Stewart who played the dim-witted Harry on it. That was his professional name. He was born Milton French Stewart and French was supposedly in his family for generations. It seems kind of strange for a first name but I think it would be fine as a middle name.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate it very much!

Our surname thankfully does not start with an O or Mc - laughing at myself a bit as I offered up this additional confusion ;-)

This will be our third child and our daughters are named Cora Ophelia (2000) and Matilda Alexander (2006) - we are looking for something that will sound nice with those names and we love names that are a bit unique, though traditional and have some personal historical significance. My husband is more traditional with male names, though with both sexes I am more daring . . . . And perhaps, this is all mute, and this baby too is female.

I did find French as a first name in census trends for the 1890s - but it has just really had no discernible presence as a first name since that time. I did keep coming across French Stewart as several of you suggested - and William French Smith (US Attorney General under Reagan), but otherwise very little information.

Thank you again for the feedback - and, please oh please, keep it coming.

With gratitude, Hallie

Not really my cup of tea, but it seems usable. Maybe its because of actor French Stewart. Maybe its because there is a character in Grease who goes by "Frenchie" although that is a girl character.

I think there is a possibilty of getting teased. Getting called French Fry or something. But then again, a lot of kids nowadays have more unusual names and they might not even bat an eye.

I know a boy called French, as his mother's maiden name was French. I'm not a big fan, though. Perhaps as a middle name?

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr